Returning

Rowan felt great waking up to silence. They were used to hearing screaming, yelling, or even being hit with something. Granted, Hecate did love to slip her feline self into their room to impede their sleep.

Today, she decided to tap Rowan's face until they finally woke up.

"Alright, alright," Rowan groaned, petting Hecate somewhat aggressively, "I'm up."

Hecate mewed as Rowan got up and made their way to the bathroom to wash their face, before heading to the kitchen. They saw Indigo and Calvin enjoying a peaceful morning, the mage was sitting at the kitchen island, with the blacksmith standing across from her.

"There you are," Calvin remarked to the black cat waltzing into the dining room to receive her breakfast. "Here you go, short stack," the healer sat down a plate of wet cat food in front of her. Hecate scowled at him before eating. "Morning, Rowan."

"Bonjour, jellyfish," Indigo muttered into her coffee cup.

"Good morning," Rowan yawned, as they sat down on the barstool next to Indigo.

"Cinnamon roll?" Calvin asked.

"Yes, please."

It was pleasant living with Indigo and Calvin. The ability to be in an extremely safe environment, and not having to worry about personal items being touched or broken was always a dream, but now that was a reality. Plus, the added comfort of Indigo and Calvin's presence was something Rowan never knew they needed.

"Do you want to tour the college today?" Indigo asked as Rowan ate their breakfast.

Discussions about the college felt slightly heavy since their first night home, the melancholic teen was now more cautious of the institution given the circumstances. However, Rowan was more open to touring the college rather than just enrolling without care, "Isn't that something you do when the college is like open... it's Saturday?"

"You forget we work at the college," Calvin chuckled, "Plus, with the college closed for the winter break, the weekend would be the quietest the college will ever be."

"Classes start the second week of February; half of the staff and students have most likely traveled home."

Rowan thought for a moment before nodding, "Let's do it."

Indigo and Calvin smiled at one another as the morning continued, everyone getting ready for the day, stepping out the door, and heading toward the college.

The January air was cool and crisp, with winter winds that were harsh against the face, as they traveled down frozen paths and streets.

Rowan knew the college was large, although seeing the building in person, it was much much larger than they realized. It was so dark and intimidating against the cloudy sky.

The college's dark tan and ointment colors were covered by moss and foliage, sitting behind a large, closed fence with two Newfoundland dogs sleeping in front. Hecate sat in front of Indigo, Calvin, and Rowan and meowed loudly.

"Mistress of the old night, maiden of the far lands," a booming voice mocked.

Hecate looked at the dogs with narrow eyes and growled as they yawned, cracking open their eyes slightly. Rowan assumed that the voice came from one of the dogs, if not both, and was shocked to see neither dog had pupils or irises leaving their eye sockets as completely void.

Watching Indigo pull out large dog treats out of her pocket; Rowan was left wondering who the dogs were talking about. The gates opened and the dogs stepped aside, "Who were they talking about?"

"Hecate," Calvin chuckled.

"Familiars picking on each other," Indigo replied.

"They speak, but she doesn't?"