sɪx | Linger

──────

──────

SIX

𝙇𝙄𝙉𝙂𝙀𝙍

──────

"Okay. We watched your dumb movie. Now can we watch the one that I brought?"

Eleanor was reclining on a large green couch, her head resting against its armrest. On the floor nearby, Greg lounged on a beanbag, a joint between his lips as he inhaled a breath. "Big is not a dumb movie. You take that back!"

The sixteen-year-old girl shook her head playfully. "You only like that movie because you're also a big man child." Since the start of high school, Greg's height had stretched to a towering level, much to Greg's dismay and Eleanor's amusement.

With glazed eyes and a goofy smile, he grabbed a floor pillow with one hand and threw it at the girl. She ducked away from it, causing it to hit a pile of coasters on the end table, which tumbled down onto the floor. She gasped with feigned astonishment. "Gregory! You're supposed to be house sitting, not house dissing."

"House dissing?" He mocked. "And you say I'm the one who has trouble with words." She rolled her eyes with a smirk as he stuffed his hand into a bag of chips, shaking his head. "We don't need to worry about making a mess anyways, my step-aunt's like 80-years old and super blind. She probably won't even come down here."

For the entire week leading up to this day, Greg and Eleanor arranged for the ultimate weekend sleepover while Greg house sat for an out-of-town step-aunt. They planned on hanging out in her basement, where in Greg described it as, "the coolest room ever." Initially, Eleanor thought the description was exaggerated, but now that she was actually inside, she had to agree that it was pretty cool. Hanging lights, a shagged floor, a large TV, bean bag chairs, and the overall 1970s aesthetic of the walls and furniture filled the teenage girl with a warm, comforting feeling.

As per plan, Greg brought the snacks, and Eleanor brought the drugs. Additionally, each of them agreed beforehand to bring one movie of their choosing that they had to watch together. They sat munching on their food as the ending credits rolled by, passing the blunt to each other back and forth.

Eleanor's glance took another long sweep around the room, appreciating the décor. Then she zeroed in on a piece of furniture that sat in the corner, eyes lighting up when she recognized it as a record player. "I cannot get over how cool this room is. It's so retro. When I am an adult with my own money, I hope my house is this tacky." She remarked while approaching the device in the corner.

Her fingers ran through the stacks of vinyl records on the shelf above, scanning through the albums for anything that peaked her interest. Most of it was Meryl Streep and Frank Sinatra. Greg chortled. "Your own money? Are you gonna make your dad, like, disown you?" He joked.