The beginning of the end

Start from the beginning

Y/n smiled gently at his comforting words. "I know. I still worry, though."

Bucky nodded in understanding and gently squeezed her arms before he picked up his plate of food and made his way into the living room. Y/n followed after him with her own plate. 

Y/n sat down on the sofa next to Bucky and placed her plate on her lap.

"What's this?" He asked, referring to the TV.

"You haven't seen Friends yet?" Y/n asked him

Bucky shook his head in response. "No, what is it about?"

"Well...it's about friends." Y/n laughed at her lame attempt at explaining the show.

"Oh, thank you, doll. That's super helpful." Bucky said sarcastically with a laugh.

"Well it is, it's a comedy about friends who live in New York. That's it." She exclaimed, her cheeks began to hurt from smiling.

Bucky laughed and shook his head fondly at her. The two of them fell into a comfortable silence as they ate their food and watched a show about friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night had fallen over the city of New York. The sun had set around an hour ago and Y/n was feeling quite content. She was curled up on her sofa with her head resting on Bucky's chest. His arm was secured around her shoulders and his head was resting back against the couch.

The couple lounged in comfort as they enjoyed each other's presence. They had watched a few different shows as the night progressed, the end credits of criminal minds rolled down the screen. She had taken it upon herself to try and introduce Bucky to shows and movies he had missed.

Y/n reached to her left for the TV remote that was perched on the arm rest. Her fingers didn't quite reach it though as she refused to move from her comfortable position. She used her powers to bring the remote to her hand, it flew across the small distance and she caught it with ease.

"Y'know, That's just lazy." Bucky joked from beside her.

"I know." She smiled gently as she turned on the terrestrial channel. The news immediately appeared on the screen.

Y/n felt her heart drop in her chest as she read the breaking news. She sat up and lent forward in her seat, Bucky mirrored her movements. Their moment of peace had come to an end once again. As it always did.

"We have breaking news. There's a complete lockdown at the GRC meeting in lower Manhattan where authorities are saying they're tracking multiple threats from a group seeking to stop the GRC's vote on global resettlement. There is a no fly-zone in effect...and the NYPD has the area secured for the moment. Everyone is urged to stay clear." The news reporter said.

"Shit." Bucky Said as he ran a hand through his hair.

Bucky's phone then began to ring, he pulled it out of his trouser pockets and quickly answered when he saw the caller ID.

"Sam." He answered

"Have you seen the news?" Sam's voice asked him from the other end.

"Yeah, I've seen it." Bucky said

"I'm on my way. Get suited up and get down there. Bring Y/n too." Sam stated

"On it." Bucky replied as he pulled the phone away from his ear and hung up.

Y/n sighed and stood up from her seat. Bucky stood up as well and walked over to her coat rack to grab his jacket.

"I'm going to go get changed, meet me at the GRC building in 10?" Bucky asked as he walked towards her door.

"I will." Y/n nodded.

Bucky put his hand on the door knob but he froze for a moment. He hesitated before he turned around and planted a passionate kiss on her lips. Y/n reciprocated the kiss and placed her hands on either side of his head.

They pulled away from each other and Bucky opened her front door. He stepped out into the hall and turned back to her once more. "I love you." 

Y/n smiled gently at him. "I love you too."

Bucky smiled brightly and shut the door behind himself. Leaving Y/n alone in her apartment to get ready. She walked quickly towards her room to grab her suit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Police had completely swarmed the area, they were dressed In swat gear with large guns. The large GRC building was lit up red as the emergency power had been turned on. Several dozen news reporters stood outside the building along with the police officers, telling the public what was happening.

Walking through the large crowd, almost sticking out like a sore thumb, was Y/n and Bucky Barnes. The two avengers walked up to the large building doned in their tactical suits.

"I'm almost there." Sam's voice echoed over the coms.

"What's the plan?" Bucky asked him

"Karli's gotta be close. Keep your eyes open." Sam told them.

"Yeah well, it could be anybody." Bucky said as he eyed the masked officers.

"Sergeant Barnes. Miss L/n." An officer greeted them as he stepped aside and let them past the barricade. Y/n smiled at the man as they passed him. It was nice when people referred to Bucky with respect.

"And by the way, I called in some backup." Sam told them

"Excuse me, sir. Ma'am. Are you supposed to be here?" A man asked from behind them

We turned around to face the man, he lifted his hand up to his face and whipped his hand across his face. The man's face became distorted for a moment and the disguise came off. It was Sharon.

"It's me." She said

"Sharon?" I asked in surprise

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" Bucky asked her

"Relax. No one's looking for me here." She said to them as she ushered us towards the building.

"Do I hear Sharon?" Sam asked over the coms.

"Unfortunately." Bucky grumbled. Y/n held in her laugh at his comment.

"Hey, Sam. I thought I'd get the band back together." Sharon said

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here." Sam said

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway." Sharon shrugged

"Depends on the therapist." Bucky said

"They're gonna move on the building soon. Be ready." Sam said to them.

"Come on, let's go." Bucky said to Sharon and Y/n. He placed his hand on her lower back and began to walk into the building. This was it, it was time to end this fight. And hopefully win.