Chapter 17

I agreed to a dinner date with Dorian even though I wasn't that hungry after my lunch with Ian and his fiancé. I figured a drink or two will eventually be good after a long and hectic week at work. Since I came back to work from my short leave, my boss Naomi wanted me to take few extra projects to catch up. I've been staying up late just to prove her I wasn't away because I wanted to - I was forced to stay locked indoors for my own safety. I wasn't sure whether Dorian explained the means to my vacation when he asked for her favour on my behalf, I sensed Naomi's sudden disapproval towards me. Ian and I have been thinking of applying to every single casting in the near future just to kick start our dreams once again. Whilst I wouldn't mind working in the office for few more years, Ian's desperation to change his life into a better, more prosperous living was somewhat reassuring that I might have my dream job quite soon. His determination pushed me too and I was grateful for his dedication for us both. 

"I'll be out all evening. Don't wait up." I've announced to Ian, hopping on one foot and trying to fit my five-inch killer heals on the other. 

"Be careful." He swayed in the doorway, munching on an apple. "Callum and I will be out to the movies then I've got a late shift at eleven tonight."

"I'll call you when I'm home. I'm sure Dorian will take a good care of me." I smiled and stood up straight, then evened out my knee-length skirt. I've decided to wear a grey tight long-sleeve blouse with a small neckline, not to be too revealing but sexy enough for Dorian to wander his eyes at my curves. 

A knock on the door came at seven sharp, just as Dorian promised but instead of him, I found Jack standing at the door, with a wide grin across his lips. As always, he had a bottle of Krug in one hand and a basket of fruits in the other. There was something about fruits in a wicker basket that tasted so much better than out of the usual paper bag. 

"Jack." I halted unexpectedly and bit my lower lip. 

"I see you've been either waiting for me or going out on a date." He scanned me with his dark brown eyes from head to toe then leaned in to plant a small peck on my cheek. "You look gorgeous." He then whispered and extended a bottle of champagne at me. 

"I... Thank you." I stuttered, unable to look away from his intimidating, yet mesmerising gaze. "I was about to go out, actually."

"I see." Jack sighed in disappointment but kept smiling nonetheless. "I'd ask to drag along but then I'm guessing you're not going with the girls."

Ian stepped out of the kitchen and waved to Jack, then disappeared back behind the wall. 

"Hey, Ian." Jack greeted cheerfully, then set the basked next to my feet. "I guess I'll be going then."

As much as I wanted to spend the time with both Dorian and Jack, I couldn't break my promise of dinner for Dorian. It wouldn't be polite, especially when the two are best friends. God knows if they find out that I have a growing feeling deep down in my heart for both of them. All hell would break lose and I'd never forgive myself for being a cause of cousin rivalry and loss. 

"I'm so sorry, Jack." I grabbed the house keys from the plate, "Next time, call before you come so I can make arrangements for us to hang out."

"I'll make sure you find some time for me in your busy diary. Have a blast, Sam." He wanted to give me another peck on the cheek when Dorian came from across the street and startled us both blushed.

"Jack." Cousins shook hands and exchanged a rather awkward smile. 

I stood smiling, not knowing how to react to such a sudden embarrassment. The bottle in my hand and the basket next to my feet was quite a surprise to Dorian and for a second, I wanted to sink into the ground.