Chapter 10

"No! Dorian!" I screeched after him and chocked on my own tears, succumbing in a doorway.

What if something happens to Dorian? It'll be because of me and I'll never be able to forgive myself for letting him run after Daniel.

"Sam!" Jack stormed up to me and wrapped his hand around my waist, "You need to sit down."

I swiftly wriggled out of his arm and looked up at his broad frame. "You need to call the police. If Daniel's armed, who knows what he's capable of doing to anyone who tries to save me. Jack, run after him." I couldn't stop shaking violently, tears streaming rivers down my cheeks.

"Dorian will be fine." He said reassuringly and placed his hand on the small of my back, "let's get you some water."

I swallowed past a dry lump in my throat and nodded in order to calm myself down a little. Jack guided me back to the kitchen and pulled the chair for me to sit down. He quickly poured a glass of tap water and set it aside next to me, then sat down across the table.

"I can only imagine how terrifying this entire ordeal is to you." Jack spoke and took a small sip of his whisky. "Dorian told me a little what happened to you and I'm so sorry you have to go through this."

His eyes narrowed as he carefully studied my face. I barely looked back at him but I've noticed how concerned his gaze was over me.

I shrug and brought my knees up to my chest, all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and disappear out of this existence for some time, until everything settles back to normal or at least how it was before Daniel showed up back into my life, causing massive destructions all the way to my core.

The doorbell went off in an unexpected loud shriek, making me twitch with fear.

"I'll get it. Don't move." Jack rose up from his chair and quickly walked up to the door.

"Hey, I have no idea who you are but is Sam here?" I heard Anna speak with a high pitched voice.

I ran out of the kitchen to hug my friend into a tight embrace. "Thanks God you're here." I exhaled into her hair and squeezed her just a little more.

"Hey, hey. Don't suffocate me." She giggled.

Once she saw my red puffy eyes, Anna took my hand and walked me to the living room, giving a deathly stare to Jack to stay where he was, otherwise he'd have to taste Anna's ranging claw-like fingernails.

"Girl, what the hell?" She examined my face then cupped both of my cheeks in her palms, "Look at me."

I closed my eyes and another gush of tears poured all the way to my chin. "Daniel was here. He knows where I live."

"Fuck sake, that bastard." Anna spat angrily and went to look out the window through partially closed curtains. "When?"

"Seconds ago." I whimpered then fell back to the soft leathery cushion on the couch. "Dorian ran after him."

Anna started pacing back and forth, her high heels erratically clinking against hardwood flooring. Her eyes would narrow then shot wide open in a repeated grimace over and over as she scratched her head, probably thinking what to do next.

"I have an idea." She halted and turned at me with her hands on her hips. "I think you should go to Chicago for a bit. I can get a week off from work and come with you. You can't stay in Compton."

I rolled my eyes and exhaled loudly, wiping a trail of tears from my cheek. "No, Anna. I can't leave Ian. Plus, I can't put my parents through the same nightmare they went through after I was raped."