𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

Start from the beginning

"Raven, could you come downstairs please?" My mother called out.

"Yeah, I'll be right down," I responded back.

I made my way out of my bedroom and went towards the staircase. Before even walking down, I saw my mother standing at the bottom of the steps next to the railing.

"What's up?" I asked as I walked down the stairway.

"I just met the neighbor who lives in the house right across the street from us. His name is Charlie Swan, and he happens to be the Chief of Police here in Forks." My mother informed me, sounding impressed.

Well, that's convenient that the Chief of Police lived right across from our house, I thought.

"Oh nice, what's he like?" I asked with curiosity, hoping he was a decent neighbor.

"He's very kind, easygoing, good-looking too." She laughed, making me want to gag at her obvious fascination for him.

"Good to know Mother," I said dryly.

"But that's not all I wanted to tell you." She said. "As Mr. Swan and I were talking outside, he told me his daughter was actually moving here from Phoenix, Arizona to come and live with him soon, tomorrow to be exact." She disclosed, leaning her back against the wall across from the staircase.

His daughter? Does the man live alone, or did his daughter not live with him and his wife?

"Oh, did he say why she was?" I decided to ask.

"He just told me that she lived with her mother, alongside her step-father who is a minor league baseball player, and that his daughter apparently wanted to give them space so they could travel for her stepdad's career." My mother answered.

That seemed understandable, I mused. I wouldn't want to be consistently traveling and moving locations constantly either.

"I believe he said she was also seventeen. The same age as you coincidentally." She added arbitrarily.

"Oh, how fortuitous," I replied, not seeing why that was important to note at the moment.

"I thought the same as well." My mother agreed, sounding almost enthusiastic about it. "But Charlie said she'd be arriving here tomorrow, and that he's picking her up from the airport in the morning to bring her here." She added, earning a nod from me.

"I figured, maybe you two could meet each other and get to know one another when she arrives." My mother then suggested, making my eyes go round.

What made her think I'd want to do that? Because I definitely was not a fan of that recommendation.

It's not that I was a shy person or even scared to talk to people, I just preferred to keep to myself most of the time, and not willingly go out of my way to meet new people that are more than likely only going to find me odd. Ergo, there wasn't much of a purpose in me doing so.

"I'm not sure about that, Mom," I uttered nervously. "You know I'm not all that comfortable with introducing myself to new people, plus she'll most likely not want to even talk to me." I really didn't want to have to do this.

"Surely that can't be true. I'm sure she's just as nervous as you are about having to move to a different location, and maybe she'd appreciate your friendship." She implied, trying to convince me.

Friendship? I've only known about this girl for less than five minutes and my mother was already suggesting us being friends. What exactly was the purpose of this?

"I don't know Mom. I'd rather continue adjusting to our new home and preparing myself to go to a new school in less than a few days," I said, wishing she would understand my clear discomfort from her proposal.