VII. The Spy

Blood-soaked earth shifted beneath Elemér's feet when he met the General's knowing gaze. How could he be so reckless? His goal was to destroy the abominable Moon-Marked farms, not to expose himself. All he did was follow the High Architect's orders. And those were simple: get rid of the threat to the domain, kill Emőke, and do so discreetly. But Elemér took the liberty to improvise and play a role not meant for him.

Who was the Green Shadow? A person or a symbol? A powerful spinner with green threads, Xin Yuan's right hand. Many artists fit the description. But Elemér had the rotten fortune to be blessed with threads that were greener than spring grass. With such luck, impersonating the notorious Green Shadow and destroying the farms should have been easy. Only it was not.

In the hell of flames, Elemér did see him—the real Green Shadow, who tried to build corridors to save his people. The dissident withdrew as soon as he guessed the General's plan. A clever man. Or woman. Elemér was not sure. All he glimpsed was a curtain of black hair beneath dark bandages. The vision dissipated as quickly as it appeared, forcing Elemér to question his sanity. A person in a halo of blue mist! Was the Shadow another friend of Emőke or Lightning? Or Min Lian's former associate?

Unwavering, Min Lian watched the Spy, his gaze so intense that Elemér averted his eyes. Allowing Min Lian's dart to reach his boot was a mistake that could lead to death. But Elemér did not fear. Instead, he cursed his weakness.

With his arms crossed, the detestable General measured Elemér from head to toe. What could the Spy say in his defence? Could he tell the General he was mistaken? Unfortunately, the Sen butcherer was too bright to swallow such a reply. So instead, Elemér let the General lead the conversation.

"I still have farms, you know," Min Lian said, mocking him. "You destroyed one. But, in the end, you lost many allies, while I lost some useful animals. Nothing more."

What else could Elemér do but shrug and feign nonchalance?

"I know you have other 'farms'. Two, to be precise."

"Yes," he hissed, cocking his head to the side. "And I don't blame you, Elemér. I understand you."

"I doubt you do." Elemér grimaced, stepping away from the General. Of course, someone like that butcherer could never understand a Magor. But, to Elemér's surprise, the General pretended that he did.

"I admit I did not expect you to be the Green Shadow. Unlike our dear lady Emőke, you are not interested in my country's affairs. But I understand why the High Architect would send a spy to infiltrate the circles of our dissidents. She and the rest of your government want the Moon-Marked gone. It's only natural. You're afraid of losing your power."

"Afraid?" It was late to retreat, and Elemér embraced his new role without hesitation. If he so wished, Min Lian could make him an enemy. The two of them despised each other anyway.

The General laughed. "You've lost your Envoy. Lady Emőke sneaked away after the reception, did she not? I've heard she decided to visit the demon with colourless threads your people call Lightning. As much as I would want a creature like him gone from our soil, I can't find any connection between him and our dissidents. Thus, I can't expel him. What a pity."

"You can't do anything to him," the Spy replied. "Lightning is unnatural. He's eternal. That is unusual even by our standards."

"Your standards?" Min Lian drew closer, lifting his chin to stare into Elemér's hazel eyes. "You want respect, Elemér. And you will never have it from your people."

"My fate should not bother you. I will receive all the glory I crave once I take Emőke's position." Suppressing his anger, Elemér hoped the General did not notice his tense posture and hateful glare. But, of course, he did. Perhaps, Elemér's reaction even entertained him. Whatever transpired in the General's mind, his following words only confirmed the Spy's suspicions.