My Way | Song Mingi (bodyguard x princess)

If you were honest with yourself, you really, really were not ready to meet your 'betrothed' especially at perilous times like these.

It wasn't because of what one would normally think- the obvious nervousness and anxiety that would come with going to meet your betrothed for the first time in 15 years, no. It wasn't that at all. You couldn't care less about the poor guy who was betrothed to you.

Neither was it the nervousness of travelling alone (save for your guards) for the first time in a while. Rather, that part excited you quite a bit- you really needed a breather from the suffocating air of the castle.

It was because of the threat hanging on your head while you embarked on this journey, and the secret mission you were going to carry out while in the castle of your betrothed. The future of your kingdom Wonderland depended on it. And for the next generations to live without the fear of war and collapse of their homeland, you'd risk getting caught by the neighbouring kingdom and perhaps, risk your life.

But one person was adamant on making you realise that there were worse things than death-

"Imagine staying in a cell for the rest of your life."

"At least I won't witness the collapse of my nation," you raised a brow as if having proven a point.

Your guard, Mingi, dressed rather comfortably for a guard as you always pointed out, shook his head, the ash tendrils shaking violently. "Imagine hearing from their guards about the horrid details."

"Well," you ruffled your dress before sitting down and pouring yourself water. "At least you'll be with me."

"Helpless, your Highness," his raspy voice rang in your ears, "I'd rather die than be helpless while you endure whatever they decide to do with you."

"Really?" Your eyes lit mischievously, "You'd rather die?"

Mingi finally scoffed, indicating he was relaxing and was going to get comfortable with you now, "Sad that I have to, isn't it? If it were up to me, I'd deliver you to their cell myself."

"For a guard who's supposed to die for me," you scoffed back, "you sure got some evil plans there."

Mingi sighed, taking a seat in front of you. As your guard for more than 5 years, there was a certain familiarity between you two which consisted of unspoken actions that spoke louder than words and a sense of comfortableness with each other. He bit his lips as he tried to think of the words to say. "Are you sure we can't let other guards in on this mission?"

"I don't trust anyone else," you said and Mingi felt a sense of pride in his heart at your words, "Plus, they're all kind of... chickens."

"What makes you think I'm not?" Mingi laughed, but when your eyes went to his neck, he got his answer.

3 years ago when he had protected you from an arrow aimed for your head and it had grazed his neck. Everything between you two changed after that- you started trusting him indefinitely and acknowledged him, unlike the various other guards that had been or were in your service. As for Mingi, he simply told you it was his 'job' but he didn't complain about the special treatment he'd started to get-

"Still hung up over that, are you?" He teased.

Such as being something close to a 'friend' to you and talking comfortably.

You shook your head and exhaled. "Let's get to the point. This is going to be a very normal trip, Mingi. We go to Utopia, I spend time pretending I have 'feelings' for my betrothed and get the information I need, and if I'm lucky, physical proof of the plotting they've been doing. You do the protecting, as usual. As soon as I have something, we make our way back-"