Crescent | Choi San (prince x bodyguard au)

"I'm sorry, Captain, but I do not think I'm qualified to be Prince San's personal bodyguard."

"You are capable, child, more than you think," your Captain's use of the term he so seldom called you made you raise your brows, "I know so, because I have trained you since you could walk and am aware of your strengths and weaknesses."

"But, Captain-"

"No buts," he simply said, shifting in his chair, "You are the most swift we have, and we really need that right now, with the threat on the Prince's head... We cannot afford to be careless now."

"And if I fail you?"

"I know you won't, but if you fail me... We'd lose two very important people."

Your heart sank at the words, and you bit your lips, wondering why you didn't saw it coming.

The Captain wasn't wrong. You were one of the most feared assassins of the Prince. Everyone in Wonderland compared you with lightning because you were quick on your feet, barely a shadow as you sliced throats left and right.

Only for the Prince. This was all done for the kingdom, never for your personal matters.

Which was why the Captain of the Guard knew he could trust you with the job of protecting the sole heir of the kingdom, Prince San, who had just lost his parents to rogue assassins a few months ago, the threat like a shadow following him even in the dark. He had spent enough time being careful, always watching his back, and he had lost enough people close to him- which included his previous guards too.

You hadn't interacted with the Prince much, but even you could see that he had created a shell around him now. You had always seen him smiling and greeting his staff or anyone, for that matter, with smiles, always remembering their names and asking about their families or if work here was too much.

He had always been kind, and he still was, but... the light had left his eyes, and you secretly wished, probably like everyone else, that he would come out of his shell again. But you couldn't blame him, and you certainly weren't one to talk about it, especially when you had built a whole damn fortress around yourself, no one ever getting past your defenses. Prince San's was merely a shell, and you believed it would wear off with time, but you?

You had started from a shell too.

And you prayed Prince San wouldn't become someone like you, never letting anyone past your defenses, never allowing them to see your heart.

The only person you had affection for was the Captain, the man who had raised you in the castle, you always under his wing and learning from the very best, making him proud everyday.

And that very person had now given you the toughest, riskiest job. You sighed, changing into your nightgown and opening the window, attempting to smile at the full moon because you knew this would be your last night that you would ever be so relaxed.

--------------------

You were very, very nervous and you prayed it didn't show on your face.

It was normal to be nervous, you told yourself as you dressed up in your new uniform- all black and mostly leather, hugging your toned body, various belts for your choice of weapon- daggers. You donned your black embroidered cloak over your shoulders, looking one last time in the mirror, your hair in a braid.

Your cheeks were flushed- something you had no control over. You straightened, clearing your throat. You were ready to meet Prince San as his personal bodyguard for the first time.

You went to your Captain's office, who put an affectionate hand on your head, as if telling you that you had done well. Without exchanging words, you both silently went to the Prince's chamber, where he would be waiting for you.