20. Losing and Gaining Friends

Start from the beginning

Greyson unlatched the Velcro strip holding the umbrella together, letting it spring open. It was obviously a one-person umbrella. We exchanged quick glances, then I stepped forward under the umbrella that he raised to go over his head also, and we started down the steps.

Rain was pouring down in sheets, and I unintentionally shrunk closer to Greyson as the breeze pushed the droplets onto my side. He shifted his hold to his left hand, his right coming up and around my back to make more room for us both to fit, but he just touched my backpack. He was careful not to touch me.

But I still had to lean toward him to avoid the rain. The warmth of his body against my shoulder and arm contrasted with the chilly rain.

So much for trying to leave the house to escape tension, I thought. It was just as suffocating here.

We dodged puddles and eventually reached my car. Greyson withdrew his hand from around me and grabbed the handle, pulling it open. I quickly slid in, looking back toward Greyson as he stood right over me, the thin canvas covering us both.

"Thanks," I muttered. His green eyes, dark in the cloudiness, met mine, but he said nothing, just took a step back. I hurriedly shut my door with a slam, leaving me in quiet with the rain pounding the roof of the car.

He turned around, jogging back to the house. The rain sliding down the window distorted his tall figure. When he got to the porch, he stepped in the door without a look back.

I huffed, starting my engine.

Just a couple of days ago, I had thought maybe it would be easier, more peaceful, were Greyson to make good on his word that he was going to take a step back.

Lies. My emotions seemed to knot themselves even more as he avoided me.

I watched as he reappeared in the doorway of the house, without the umbrella. He looked to where Champ was, then he pulled his hood up around his head and came down the steps, running lightly around the house to his Garage.

Champ then appeared, trotting down the stairs and jumping after his owner.

I bit the inside of my cheek. It was moments like this that I regretted Clay being my best friend. I could sure use a girlfriend to talk to.

A thought struck me. I fished out my phone, scrolling through my contacts. Stopping on one, I messaged them, hearing the slight whooshing sound as it was delivered.

— - — @ — - —

A half hour later, I was sitting in Coffee and Crumpets, an old cafe on a street corner in our town, Rally, with a hot vanilla latte steaming in front of me.

"If there's one thing about this small town, it's that they know how to make their pastries."

I grinned across the table at Audrey, who was looking down at the little strawberry scone she had like she wanted to marry it.

"Thanks for coming and meeting me."

She made a dismissive hand motion. "Not like I had anything else to do on this dismal Sunday afternoon." She smiled back at me, her hazel eyes were as warm as the mug in my hand. Her long dark hair was thrown up in a messy bun, and a hoodie that I had seen in my brother's closet before hung loosely against her small frame.

I wouldn't have said she and I were close friends. But I had found myself talking to her more at the track, and she'd been spending more time at Clay's trailer. I was grateful she was free this afternoon.

"So what's going on with you and Clay?"

I let out a humorless chuckle. "I was hoping you could tell me. I think you've been around him more than me this summer."

Shifting GearsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara