SINGLE REVIEW: Shifty / Jazz Ass / Jellyhead (1996)

The only release by Shifty, a drum and bass producer, is a real treat to listen to. Released on vinyl in September 1996, both tracks are break filled and chilled, and sound great in the summer. 

Side A, Jazz Azz, is undoubtedly a fantastic track. Despite being extremely basic compared to most jungle/drum and bass records at the time, the song holds up well due to its atmospheric feel, rolling breaks and beautiful string and rhode samples. It gives me LTJ Bukem vibes. 

The flip side, Jellyhead, is also a great song to listen to though. Despite it being darker than Jazz Ass, the drum breaks are punchy and vibrant, and everything is put together with infectious sub basses and jazz guitar samples.

Overall, this single is very well done, and I enjoy it a lot. The only takeaway is that the sound isn't as clean as a lot of other drum and bass records, such as Pulp Fiction by Alex Reece. Either way, still fantastic.

Rating: 9/10

This single is pretty hard to find nowadays, however supply wasn't limited, so it isn't exactly rare, just no-one's in the mood to sell their copies (it's damn good, so I can see why) however you can listen to the single on YouTube in the highest quality possible.