Even his favorite movie couldn't cover it up.

He groaned and grabbed one of his pillows, stuffing it over his face and holding it there. He couldn't just drown her out it wouldn't work.

So he flung himself up and off the bed.

He crept out of his bedroom and went back down the stairs, trying to be as quiet as possible. He didn't want his mom to hear that he was home. He didn't need to see her put on the fake smile that hides nothing and act as though she doesn't know he could hear her cry. Then the second she saw anything that would slightly remind her of the child she just lost in a sense, she would burst out bawling.

Jess didn't want to put up with that. He hated hearing or seeing her cry because he couldn't do anything. No one could ever do anything when she got like that. No matter what you said or do she'd maybe calm down for a few minutes but would very quickly go back to her weeping. It was exhausting and heart wrenching.

He slipped his shoes on and opened up the door. He took a deep breath before stepping out, making sure to shut it quietly behind him. Once he was outside the sound was gone and his head felt a little less dark.

He made a decision to go a random direction and just started walking. He turned once and then remembered the playground that wasn't too far away. He used to go to it in elementary and middle school all the time.

He didn't think much as he walked, didn't have to. His feet knew where to go and that gave his mind a break. Sometimes he got real tired of thinking.

When he reached the edge of the playground where the sidewalk turned to grass he paused. Standing there, he had to take a minute just to breath in the pure nostalgia. He hadn't been here in a long while and now he is regretting that. He should come more often.

He walked over and sat down on the swing rocking himself slowly back and forth and looking around. It was peaceful here, he liked it.

The rocking was calming and Jess felt his muscles relax as he let himself forget about today.

For just a moment he wanted to be just Jess. Jess all by himself.  He was tired of worrying about a million other things instead of himself. Maybe for a moment on this swing he could go back to a time when he was happy and care free.

He heard someone walking on the sidewalk behind him but he didn't look up. He just hoped it was someone passing by that would judge him as either an angsty teen (they'd be partially right about that one) or immature and keep walking. That hope died though when he heard them step on the grass.

He still didn't look up, whoever it was hadn't said anything yet so he had no reason to look up. He was being care free right now, they could fuck off.

Then he could see the person sitting on the swing next to him. The wood of the playground creaked and the chains holding the swings rattled before a familiar voice spoke. "Hey."

Then Jess looked up and he met eyes with Isaac Johnson. He stared into hazel eyes for a minute before answering. "Hey."

"What's up?" Isaac smiled, wide and bright.

Here he was, Jess, sitting on an old swing set trying to lavish in the fact that his mind was blank for once and then this guy appears. Isaac appears and smiles the happiest fucking smile he's ever seen and is sitting there like they're normal friends just chatting on the swings.

Jess turned to face in front of him again and looked at his feet as he kicked at a clump of dirt. "Nothing. What are you doing here?"

Isaac leaned back and then started swinging. He wasn't going high, just kicking himself a little more than Jess. Like how kids would when they're too scared to swing high.