CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

"Except," Mitch murmured, lifting a finger to indicate his interruption, "the red won't be a good match for Trey because it will be invisible next to his suit. So Lexi, wear his attire's color and he'll wear yours. They stand out that way."

Nodding, Lexi put the black one on Trey's left, giving him her right hand to clasp the red one onto. Then she turned to Samantha, thanking her again. "Anytime," Sam responded, smiling.

Trey set down the box on the table to his side, then nodded his thanks to Sam. Looking down at Lexi, he said, "We can switch whenever you want depending on the color you want to wear that day, okay?"

When her head bobbed up and down with excitement, he chuckled, kissing the top of her head. Turning to their friends, he asked, "Who wants to go next?"

Gale stood, walking over with another box. Trey was the one who accepted and opened the box, pulling up an object unfamiliar to him. "What is this?"

"It's a scent diffuser," Lexi told him. "I've wanted this! Thank you so much," she said. "The fact that you bought something even though you need the money is touching. Thank you."

"I wanted to," he said kindly. "Don't worry about it." Lexi smiled.

Sierra came up next with a gift bag. "Here. I hope you like it."

Trey held the bag open with a hand, urging Lexi to take out the contents. She came up with a container and gasped. "Our own customized candle!"

Her excitement was contagious, and they all had easy smiles on as they watched her open and take a sniff of it

Her excitement was contagious, and they all had easy smiles on as they watched her open and take a sniff of it. "Smells like a forest. So good," she moaned, blissfully unaware of the way Trey stiffened in response.

"Australian forest." Lexi's head whipped to Sierra, eyes wide. "I remember you saying you wanted to experience what it was like. So, I had this made for you—since you can't go yet in your condition."

When they saw the map of Chicago the container, they shared a look only they understood. Turning to Sierra, she thanked her again. "We'll use this wisely. I don't want it to finish."

They chuckled, watching as she kept smelling the candle, refusing to hand it to Trey so he could set it down with the other gifts.

"I think the next person can present their gift seeing as she's not ready to part with this one," Trey murmured, looking down at the woman in his arms with love.

"I'm the last person to go before them, so don't look at me," Jason said when Melissa narrowed her eyes at him.

Mitch shrugged when she switched her gaze to him. He brought forth a box and a canvas, handing it to both of them. All he said was, "Happy fourth anniversary," then he went back to his seat, cuddling up with Sam whose eyes were fluttering shut.