Chapter 40

Max was quiet and it took every ounce of control for her to remain composed. Her heart trembled with the groaning storm clouds in the dark sky. If that storm broke out above them, she knew her own walls would shatter, and her tears would join the rain. So, she walked on. Numb. Broken but not defeated.

Because so many members of the group were still at the banquet, Asahel's car had been blocked in. Forfeiting the keys over to Francis, Asahel and Max followed Elliot to his black BMW. Max barely noticed when Asahel helped her get into the car. She barely noticed when he tried to help straighten her dress for her and securing the belt buckle around her. He was careful not to touch her, but his body heat surrounded her in the backseat.

If only it could be enough to distract her, but her mind and heart were somewhere else. If he was talking, she couldn't hear him. If Elliot was speeding, she couldn't tell, or care for that matter. If they died in a fiery car crash that night, she wasn't sure if she would care about that either. Her whole world felt like it had been destroyed all over again.

"You know," Elliot's voice was loud as always, and such a retched noise that even she couldn't ignore it. "You only upset yourself." He said from the driver's seat.

She deadpanned a look in his direction. She was sitting behind the front passenger seat and had a perfect view of his head. Perfect for throwing something right at him. She wouldn't miss either.

"You should have let us question him." He added.

"Shut up." She mumbled.

"What?" He leaned back toward her.

"Shut up, Elliot!" She growled angrily before turning to Asahel, "you could've stopped me you know."

"Maybe I was enjoying the show." He shrugged, avoiding eye contact. He didn't meet her gaze. Wouldn't meet it. What was wrong with the world tonight?

Max's shins ached with her ankles and feet. Without thinking, she leaned forward to rub her legs. It helped a little, but she knew the pain would only get worse through the night. Not only was her heart broken but her body felt mangled as well. She never wanted to wear heels again, or at least not for a very long time.

And this dress. And her hair. Max scowled against the pressure in her sinuses. She blinked the stinging tears from her eyes, willing herself to remain calm, stone, and numb. She wasn't about to cry and ruin her makeup either, not with these guys around. She couldn't let anything sink in. Not even Asahel's comment.

She didn't know how long she stayed bent over, rubbing her legs, and resting her head on the seat in front of her, but when Max sat back up the scenery was too familiar. Her heart twisted like a rag being rung out. Why? Why were they going there? She looked at Asahel and her mind went blank when she saw that he was already staring at her. Watching her.

He had been for some time now. She'd known this subconsciously. She could even think of the exact moment when she thought she felt his eyes on her. They were still on her.

"Where are we going?" She asked, already knowing the answer.

"To your father's house." Asahel answered.

"Why?"

"Because Gwen filed a missing person's report when you didn't come back. She gave Daryl a full description of me and my other car. If I can't prove that you're safe, she'll cause more problems."

"What if it's a trap?"

"Don't think I didn't think about that." He said before exhaling through his nose. He lifted his eyes from her only when the house came into view.

In the driveway was Gwen's white car and a police car. Elliot parked behind the cars before pulling out a gun.

"Stay here and keep the car running," Asahel instructed Elliot before climbing out and instructing Max to slide over to his side to get out. He didn't want her out of his sight or out of arms reach. "We'll be quick," he closed the door as lightning flashed in distant black storm clouds.