Chapter Four: Hermana Mayor Island

I.

As we reached the seaside, we were greeted by a boatman wearing a green camisa de chino and the traditional Filipino hat, salakot.

Beside him, a bumblebee boat swayed ready to ferry us to the island's premise.

I looked around me and noticed that everyone – except Ludwig – was really looking forward about the activity, especially Fraulein, the tall British exchange student who was standing beside me. She giggled now and then – probably thrilled by the thought of adventure itself. Her large blue eyes twinkled as she let out a deep sigh.

"First time riding a boat?" I asked Fraulein, observing her facial emotions.

"Oh, my chuff! Fancy me, a landlubber on a real ocean adventure. Last time I dipped my toes in deep water was a childhood paddle at Blackpool, don't you know?" she answered with a humorous tone.

She glanced anxiously at the massive waters in front of us as she clasped her once again.

As for myself, I found it challenging talking with her. It was because of the posh accent, choice of words, and British slangs that American English speakers such as I couldn't comprehend. Well, suwerte na rin ako dahil I had some knowledge about it because of the novels that I read.

Matapos niyon ay sinamantala ko na rin ang pagkakataon para magtanong sa kaniya about their accent, and she was more than willing na turuan ako – para na rin daw mabawas-bawasan ang kaba niya.

We tackled about a lot of differences between the American English and the British English and I was thrilled by it. She even taught me how to speak in Received Pronunciation. I found it fun, especially when she started talking in Queen's English accent. Doon ko napagtanto na hindi lang pala iisa ang British accent. There were lots of accents in the United Kingdom, even the English themselves couldn't understand.

Pinakitaan rin ako ng Fraulein sa pagsasalita niya ng different languages. When she started to speak in German, napansin ko ang bahagyang paglingon ni Ludwig sa kinauupuan namin. Well, he fully understood it. He was a half-German, half Filipino himself.

The salty tang of the sea and our joyous shrieks swirled around me, but Ludwig seemed an ocean away. He sat, unmoved, on his handkerchief, his brow furrowed like a field under a dark sky as he buried his nose in a book. Well, when he told me that he was interested about my book, ganiyan siguro iyon.

Poor Ludwig, I thought. It seemed to be difficult for him to socialize with these "blades that pierced him". Well, as he said, this elite class killed our best friend, so be it. I would just let him to be free. I wouldn't force him in befriending our classmates again.

After a few moments, the boatman approached us and started fetching our baggage as he arranged it to the motorboat. We patiently waited for him at around five minutes.

The cold wind danced around me as the sun hung high in the cerulean sea. The sapphire waters stretched before me, and every nerve in my body pulsed with the yearning to plunge into its cool embrace.

Oh, to bottle this feeling; this feeling that was indeed an incredible moment to cherish – a lovely memory that I knew I would yearn for.

As the boatman finished his task, he suddenly announced that we should ride the boat all at once. I found myself sitting in one of the motorboat's chairs. With a last push, the boat eased away from the port, its engine roaring like a hungry lion.

Finally, the moment has arrived. Full speed ahead to Hermana Mayor island!

II.

At around ten thirty in the morning, our boat moved through the turquoise waters, sharing secrets with the rock cliffs around Hermana Mayor Island. Suddenly, a Victorian-era mansion materialized on the eastern shore as if from a dream. Sunlight caressed the softly rolling landscape, transforming the golden sand into a glimmering expanse that reached out to meet the turquoise sea.