Chapter 3: What even is a Mystery Dungeon? Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Heh heh, right that," Nero said, holding a nervous smile on his face. "Took me about a day to dig that hole and to find all those berries."

"Right, well, that does not matter here. I wish I could explain why you're here more, but I cannot say fully why." Said the voice.

"Why can't you tell me?"

"I just can't... I wish I could explain, but... There are my reasons." The voice said as Nero wanted to ask again but couldn't think of anything else. "Young Nero, I can't say anything about you anymore, but I will tell you about your unique ability to summon your sword and shield that you had just the other day." The voice said, catching Nero's interest. "The sword and shield are a part of you. They will come when you need them. They can give you the strength to face any foe Pokémon or the defense to take on an army. What you do with this power is up to you. I know it will be in great hands."

"That does sound cool, but how did I get them?" Nero asked. The voice stayed silent. "You've got to be kidding me. First, I'm sent somewhere without reason as to why and I still don't get a reason when I ask after coming here, and now I don't know where that sword and shield first came from. WHY?!"

"I know this does not seem fair, Nero but all or most things have a reason that is not just given and explained but must be found if you wish to seek information about this power, then I cannot just tell you, but you must find out for yourself. I hope you understand that." Nero did not, and the Voice knew that. "You will wake up soon. I am sorry if I did not help you." Said the voice.

"Wait, did you say wake up?" Nero said as the door he had entered through started to move and forced him to go back into the hallway. Once the door closed, it vanished into thin air, and a second voice began to speak. "The boy did seem nice. Now I must ask why you didn't tell him?"

"If I did, it would ruin the boy, turning him hopeless. The truth will be what would bring him down. I won't let that happen, not again."

"And if he does find out?" The other voice was silent as it did not know what to say in response.

Location: Artemis House

Nero was lying in small bedding that looked like a blanket that matched his size, sleeping without a care in the world until he finally got up. He looked around and saw he was the first to wake up in the room while the others, Apollonia the Espeon, Artemis the Umbreon, Halo the Eevee, and Bianco the Zangoose, were still sleeping.

Nero looked out of a window to see that the sun was rising. It was a brand-new day for him. He was a little nervous as today he would join the Guild for which Apollonia, Artemis, and Bianco worked. The Grand Light Expedition Guild. When they were asked if they wanted to join, Nero didn't know what to do or say at the time and said yes without thinking. He didn't know what to think at the time. "Morning, early bird." Said Bianco as they got up and spoke quietly so as not to wake up the others.

"Morning Bianco, I didn't wake you, right?" Nero asked with an apologetic look on their face.

"Not now, but you kicked me in the face around midnight," Bianco said, having a flashback of him getting kicked in the face in their sleep by a sleeping Nero.

"Sorry." Said Nero, as he thought maybe he moved more in his sleep.

"It's alright, but what about you? Are you nervous about joining the guild?"

"Yeah, just a little, though. When Caesar asked us to join, I said yes because I didn't know what to say. I just said yes without thinking after he fixed his back." Nero said as he broke eye contact to think and asked Bianco. "Am I making the right choice here?"