Chapter 39

It wasn't easy to keep her mind off of Add's task and his missing presence. (Y/n) knew Add well. He wouldn't have any trouble, and even if he did, he would be able to figure out a solution on the spot. Even so, she couldn't help but wonder when he'd get back and how long he had been gone.

        To keep her mind busy, (y/n) had begun to pack away things that she knew they wouldn't need over the next couple days. While they had talked, Add had mentioned wanting to go home as soon as possible to bother Raven and check on Dynamo. She was of a similar mindset as well. Even though they hadn't been in Eldemyr for very long and had planned to be gone for at about three months, (y/n) was ready to head home. She hadn't had many interactions with the elves that lived in the area, but she wasn't exactly that interested in them to begin with. This was supposed to strictly be a business trip.

        She never would have guessed that she'd ever actually visit Eldemyr herself. It had always been nice to dream about the place, but seeing it in person wasn't quite what she thought it would have been.

        (Y/n) sighed. "It's a shame. This place is so beautiful." She wondered what it would have been like to grow up here, but she quickly cut the thought short. "It doesn't matter. I don't want to really know. I already have a home and this isn't it." She abandoned her packing task to go downstairs for a snack. Just a couple hours had passed since Add left to put an end to the source of sickness. He hadn't given her any information about when he would return other than that he would be back without fail. That's why the knock (y/n) heard at the door before she reached the kitchen had her racing to open it.

        "Oh." Well, Ilphas certainly wasn't who she was expecting to see. (Y/n)'s expression brightened a bit when she saw Synn peeking out from behind her.

        "He's here to apologize to you." Ilphas pulled the boy out in front of her. "Isn't that right, Synn?" The young elf avoided her gaze, guilt apparent in his eyes. "We heard from the doctor that you were finally awake. I'm thankful to him and you for looking after this troublemaker."

        "Uh huh..." (y/n) blinked at Ilphas. "You're...being nice to me." The slight scowl she recieved made her laugh. "Sorry, I just didn't expect it."

        "I'm sorry too." Ilphas looked (y/n) in the eyes. "If the doctor hadn't been here, Synn would be dead right now. When I thanked him for it, he told me to thank you instead. That he only helped us because of you. He said quite a bit actually. " She furrowed her brows and gave Synn's shoulder a light pat. "Kassias lied right to my face when I came looking for Synn that night. He owes you his life."

        "You don't have to go that far," (y/n) said while shaking her head and waving her hands. "I'm glad Synn is okay too." She thought back to when the boy had asked her about the fairy in the garden. "It was my curiosity too that got us in that situation you know..."

        Ilphas tapped Synn's shoulder and nudged him forward. "I'm sorry for not listening to you or the doctor. I learned my lesson and I won't do it again, promise." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a familiar item. "Sael gave me permission to give this to you."

        "A charm." It didn't glow as bright during the day, and it was a different color entirely.

        "Sael's been holding on to it out of guilt for a while now," Ilphas began to explain. "I never knew your father, but Sael claims that he was still a good man somehow." She stopped herself and looked of to the side. "Sorry, that was rude of me to say. Uh, this was your father's charm." (Y/n) accepted the trinket from Synn. "No need for us to keep it, and you've already proven that you got what it takes to be worthy of it. Synn told me that you saw a fairy in the gardens. That's one of the highest honors you can receive here in Eldemyr. Getting your own fairy...I mean."