The New Beginning

( Uruha's POV )

It was a very special day. I learned that I had an older brother who is three years older than me. His name is Reita. Mom told me that before I was born he lived here with her, but after I was born he begged to live with our grandmother so he wouldn't have to deal with me, the baby. Surprisingly mom complied with his request. Today will be the first time he's been here in years though we bonded pretty quickly. He's a bit unpredictable but an overall nice guy. It was actually his birthday and that was the day he became eleven years old. My mother told us that we would both be receiving a special gift even though it wasn't my birthday. Then she left promising to be back before sunset.

The party went on and my brother seemed to have fun. Then it was finally time to see what that special present was that mom had been talking about earlier. "Do you have an idea of what it is that Mom wanted to give us Reita?" I asked as we entered the living room.

Reita sat on the couch next to the fireplace, "No. I thought you would have an idea since you're the one who lives with her."

"Yeah, I live here with her but I rarely ever see her since she's always out at work or somewhere out on the streets."

"So what do you do all day then Uruha? You seemed like a mama's boy with the way you were clinging to her earlier." Reita joked.

"Am not!" I yelled. As I looked at Reita I couldn't help but to slightly blush as he laughed as . "If I seemed clingy its only because I barely see her and when I do see her I want to spend some time with her. I spend most of my time with my cousin, Ahime, at my other grandma's house."

"Well, I rarely see her at all and I don't cling to her like that."

"Hey I-"

Dad walked in the room before I could finish my sentence. I sensed something off about him. He didn't look like himself. There was something about his eyes that told me something was about to go wrong. I turned to see my brother with a look of disgust. My brother and I don't have the same father and he never talked about his father but he definitely hated mine.

"Where is your mother?!" my father yelled as he looked through the house.

"I-I don't know. She left earlier to get something, b-but she should be back soon." I said nervously trying my best to figure out what was wrong.

My dad then sat in his favorite chair in the corner with the look of a beast that had been touched the wrong way. If looks could kill I'm pretty sure I'd be dead by now. I had never seen my dad that angry before. He was usually very calm and very considerate of me. When I was younger he always told me that he would make up for all the time he spent away in the army while mom and I were alone awaiting for his return. Since then he has spent most of his time trying to be the best father and husband, but I had a bad feeling of what was going to happen next.

My mother then walked into the house carrying three boxes wrapped in blue paper topped with white ribbons. Mom sat the boxes on the coffee table and opened her mouth to speak but before the words could escape her mouth dad grabbed her by her shoulders with a tight grip, clutching her jaws. Dad then looked her in the eyes and said, "Tell me. Is it true?"

"Is what true?" Mom said with a look of confusion.

"Are you really cheating on me?" Dad said frustrated. Mom just stared at him looking slightly shocked.

"Answer me!" he yelled getting angrier. Mom still just stared at him looking slightly more frantic. Dad threw her unto the couch as if she was a lifeless doll.

"Why! How could you do this to me? I've done so much so that our family could live peacefully and this is what you do!"

My mother still never said a thing. She just looked at my father with tears starting to form in her eyes. Her reactions were not making my father any happier. He then grabbed one of our family pictures that was framed in a mirror like glass and smashed it against her head. When my brother saw the blood dripping from our mother's head he immediately jumped in and started to punch my father in his stomach attempting to get him away from our mom. "Reita!" Mother screamed.