1

Hassena Mallik haye haye!

Mahila Police Thana was drowning under repeated chanting of this slogan. 

"Please be calm. Quiet. Please"

SHO Amar Vidrohi's pleadings and requests fell to deaf ears. The mob was  unrelenting. They were holding placards and banners cancelling his colleague Haseena Mallik.

"Quieten down or I will place you all under lock up for causing public disturbances" He yelled this time, his patience waning.

His words seemed to have some effect but not much. Just then, one of the media persons came in front of him.

"Sir, what do you have to say about  SHO Haseena Mallik's recent trend of helping out criminals? She  helped two of them run away. Don't you feel betrayed?"

"Where is Haseena Mallik?"

"Is she being shielded by the police force?"

"Mr Amar Vidrohi please give answers to our questions. Will Mahila Police Thana be closed now?"

Turning around, Amar stole a quick glance at the police station and in particular to the tinted glass of  a window behind whose lace curtain he knew Haseena was standing, watching the entire drama. He gulped down the lump in his throat, preparing himself to address the mob when a loud gunshots echoed through the air. 

"SILENCE "                                                                                                                                                                                  (SHANT)

Amar's lips pulled up in a subtle smirk. SI Karishma Singh was standing at the middle of the road from where the crowd had parted upon her arrival to the scene. She was holding up her service gun having just shot two bullets in the air, her face looking like the biggest personification of fury ever seen. 

"Get out of here and go back to your own works right now or I swear I will you won't be able to utter anything other than 'seen many policemen but none like Karishma Singh'."                      (Niklo yaha se aur apne apne kaam pe lago warna maiya kasam aisa haal karenge ki mooh se ekkoi baat niklegi 'darga tow bohut dekhe par tumsa na dekha')

"Karishma Singh please come in" Amar called out to her, glad she had arrived. He went back inside the thana where a bunch of tense, worn out faces greeted him. He  heard the door behind him close a few seconds later. He turned to SI Karishma Singh and both their gazes simultaneously turned to the forlorn and dejected figure standing at one of the windows. Her shoulders stooping down she continued watching out with a blank expression donning her face.

"Maddam Sir" Karishma called softly to her. Amar looked at Diwan ji who shook his head signalling both himself and Billu had had no success in getting her to talk. He turned back to look at Haseena who had barely moved a muscle to Karishma's  entreaties. 

"Miss Mallik" he called out. On getting no response, Amar decided to waste no further second in asking again. Before he knew what he was doing, he found himself standing a step away from her. He raised his hand and rested it on her shoulder.

"Haseena Mallik" he called again with some firmness, giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze too, "Please turn around."

And it scared him how easily she obeyed.