𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 || 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 & 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬

"𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶." 

- 𝘍𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘖𝘤𝘦𝘢𝘯

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐓𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐁𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄, white uniforms and solemn expressions on their faces. Faces of those attempting to conceal their pain. Cassie stood by her father, who was crying. He was barely able to keep it together.

'Pain only makes a person stronger,' they say. But no one appeared to be strong; everyone appeared as if a blow of wind could knock them down. Cassie clutched her father's hand as they watched Maverick walk towards his dear friend's coffin, barely holding it together.

Cassie was upset and, more significantly, enraged. Maverick had suffered greatly. But, it appears that God did not consider it sufficient. Nobody deserved to be in this kind of pain. A barrage of gunfire was fired when Maverick's fist struck the coffin.

Cassie flinched as she felt her father's hold on her hand tightening. At the moment. She was his pillar. Maverick saluted and returned to his post. The American flag that was draped over the casket was folded.

The soldiers approached her aunt Sarah, who lovingly grabbed the flag, gripping it as if it were her lost husband. Cassie's heart rate dropped. Her thoughts was muddled by worries of being in that position.

She hugged her father as the ceremony ended. Allowing him to cry. She despised watching her father cry. Her champion. She stepped closer to her godfather and hugged him as well. She had to be tough. For the sake of both of them.

Finally, with a tight-lipped, sad smile, she embraced her aunt Sarah. The two women understood how much the man meant to them and others he had assisted during his work and life. She was adamant about keeping everyone together. Ice would want her as well.

She stood under a tree. Her black dress looking as elegant as ever. She was ordered to attend without uniform. She loved her uniform, but she was not going to go against her uncle's wishes.

The sound of footsteps reached her as Jake presented himself. She smiled at him with her lips pursed. "You look really handsome in your whites," Cassie said, a tear welling up in her eye.

Jake smiled softly at her before luring her into his arms. "How are you doing?" He questioned her. Cassie sighed before responding. "I'm ok." Jake cocked his brow at the woman in his arms.

"You know you don't have to do that with me, Cass." Jake brought it up again. Cassie stared up at the man, her gaze lost in his sparkling green eyes. Cassie wiped away her tears. She was fragile, and she adored him.

"All right, let's go. I'm going to take you home. I'll prepare dinner for you. I just want to make sure you get home safely." Jake reasoned as he walked towards his pickup, his arm around her.

Cassie sat in the passenger seat, perplexed as to why anyone would do something like this for someone like her. She thought of her daughter and how much pain she would feel if Cassie did not return from the mission, which was coming closer and closer.

"Who is minding Delilah?" Jake inquired as he exited the cemetery. Cassie turned to face the man before responding. "She's staying with my mother. I didn't want her to come to the funeral. She is too little to understand." Cassie elaborated.

Jake nodded and returned his gaze to the road. She needed him now more than ever. He had no intention of hanging her out to dry; he loved her too much to do so.

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

Cassie reclined on her lounge chair, on the phone with her mother, while Jake wandered about the room, admiring the framed images that lined the walls. He softly smiled at the images of the happy woman looking lovingly at her daughter. The devotion of a mother.

Cassie's childhood photos piqued his interest. Slider propped her up on the wing of an F-14 while Maverick, Goose, and Ice posed for the camera. Cassie grinned toothily and joyfully patted Maverick's head.

Jake chuckled as he examined the faded color photograph. Cassie ended the call with her mother looking at the pilot who was studying her photo wall.

"Do you like my photo wall?" Cassie inquires, capturing the green-eyed man's attention. Jake gives a warm smile. "I adore it. That says a lot about your values." Cassie gives Jake a sweet smile when he says this.

"I'm pleased you agree. It transforms a house into a home for me." Cassie explains, smiling at the collection of images she has accumulated over the years.

"It certainly seems like home." Jake nods, turning back to face the woman. "Now. "Did you want me to make something for dinner?" Jake inquires. Cassie frowns as she considers the question.

"You don't have to cook me dinner, Jake. I'll be OK. I swear." Cassie tries to reason. "No way, Cassie. "No questions asked, I'm cooking for you." Walking towards the kitchen, the man retorts.

"If you're going to cook, please wear an apron; wearing your whites in a kitchen makes me nervous." Cassie says as Jake innocently extends his hand before grabbing an apron and slipping it on.

"I think I have enough stuff for spaghetti Bolognese; why don't you prepare that?" The woman answers by fumbling through her pantry and getting the ingredients. Jake holds the woman's shoulders and leads her to a stool near the bench.

"Please take a seat, Cass. You're making me nervous." Jake responds in a mocking tone. Cassie rolls her eyes in response before taking a seat, brushing her dark brown hair away from her face and carefully observing the man in front of her.

Maybe having feelings wasn't such a bad thing...

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

Cassie and Jake sat at the dark oak dining table across from each other. Cassie observed Jake placing a dish in front of her, followed by a glass of juice, before doing the same for himself.

Cassie grinned as she saw the gesture. He cooked dinner for her, deepening her feelings for the green-eyed man in front of her. "Well, Jake, tell me a little bit about yourself." Cassie asked the man a question. He grinned quietly as he looked her in the eyes.

"Well. As you are aware, I am a pilot. I have two brothers . One of them is older, while the other is younger. At heart, I am a mama's boy. And I grew up on a ranch in Texas, family ranching business." Jake responded, carefully considering his words as they came out of his mouth.

"You're a true cowboy, huh?" Cassie replied by wrapping noodles around her fork. Jake laughed before concentrating on the woman's features. "How about you?" the man asked.

Cassie gave a sweet smile. "I work as a pilot. I grew up on a Military base, moving around a lot. I've always wanted to be a pilot. I have no brothers or sisters. I relocated to the North Island to be closer to family and work." Cassie responded while sipping her juice.

Jake nodded, like a sponge soaking up the information. He hung on every word she said. The two continued to talk about themselves. Exchanging strange hilarious stories. For both of them, the night seemed to stretch on.

They didn't want to leave that place. It was pleasant and welcoming.

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞:

Hello, my lovely readers, poor ice is no longer with us. I was dreading writing this part out. I would like to formally express my gratitude for the love on this fic. I have so many ideas of the perfect ending, the ending everyone deserves. Thank you to those voting. As I have reiterated, it gives me motivation. Thank you all and see you next upload 😊.