Chapter 23

Date: 29-07-2020

It was your 54th birthday night, and I was thankful that I was alive to celebrate another birthday with you. We were all gathered in the living room for a late-night movie marathon. My eldest son and his girlfriend were on the couch to our left. My second son and his daughter on the right couch, our twins on the floor in front of our seat, and you laying in my arms. I was at ease. I was relieved to know that I live to see another moment like this again. I never want to leave this bubble. This atmosphere of love and peace. I want it to stay like this forever. You, me, and the kids.

I remember how happy you were when we surprised you for your birthday.

Valentino's girlfriend invited you to the park for a stroll, knowing how much you enjoy it. While you were doing that, I, Nicolai, Alalia, Azalia, and our granddaughter Lilac decorated the backyard.

The pathway from the front door, through the hall, into the kitchen, and out the back door was adorned with your favourite flowers, lilac and roses. The entire backyard was illuminated with yellowish night lights. A small fort was decorated with sheets and lights in the centre. Inside, there was a small bed surrounded by pillows and cushions. On one side, we served your favourite food, Malah chicken and fried rice, and on the other, we served your favourite cake, a three-layer Chocolate Mocha, and all your favourite candies.

When I received the text that you had returned home, a wave of nervousness washed over me. I've been doing this for 28 years and still feel the same way. Even though I know you'll like it, I'm still nervous about trying to impress you.

I love the look of amazement when you walk into the backyard, and everyone yells surprise. I love the expressions on your face as you take it all in, happy, amused, and appreciative.

I love how your eyes twinkle and your beautiful smile on your face. It made me proud to know that I was responsible for making you so happy.