Chapter 13

Date: 08-12-1991

It was just another late night in my office. Mr. Coleman's project was progressing well, and the Airbnb was renovated in the designs you selected.

I groan, stretching my aching back. My eyes were burning from staring at the laptop all day, and my fingers were aching from typing. My mind was jumble, and I knew I wouldn't be able to concentrate while feeling this way. So, I decided to take a break. I stood up, stretching because my leg had gone numb from sitting for so long. I moan, as I felt the bones pop in my back. I shook it off before making my way to the window, inhaling deeply before exhaling tiredly.

Even though it was my birthday. It didn't feel like it. I had people who wanted to spend the day with me, but the person I wanted to spend it with wasn't here, and my mood was just off. Every call and text message wishing me a happy birthday was ignored. I wasn't happy.

I was pulled away from my thoughts by the ringing of my phone. I grumbled, slipping it out of my pocket and answering without looking at the ID. "Hello," irritation shown in my tone.

The only thing that greeted me was noise, as if someone was at a party. I took the phone away from my ears and looked at the number, but it wasn't one I recognized. I returned the phone to my ears, "who is this."

There was still no response, but there were a lot of movements. I was about to hang up when I your sweet voice whisper in my ears. "Happy Birthday."

I froze, my heart in my throat. Was that really you? "Patrika?" I nervously called out.

"Hi- hi Avi. I- miss you." You slurred and I realized that you were drunk.

"Where are you?" I inquired a bit worried. Thoughts running wild in my head. Are you okay? Who is there with you? All these questions but no answer.

"You're so beautiful," you said ignoring my question. I chuckle. "Patrika, tell me where you are," I tried once again.

"I've always had a crush on you, boss man," you said, and I stiffen.

"However, I was always worried about what others would think of my actions. That was fucking stupid of me," you admitted, and I nodded, agreeing wholeheartedly, but remained silent.

It was quiet for a moment before you spoke up again. "Me waa be one mermaid."

"I want to be a mermaid," I chuckle, not expecting that. "What kind of mermaid?" I decided to play along.

"Well, I'm not certain. But breathing under water would be amazing." I snorted.

"Wait, wait, I'd rather be an alien. Javier, do you believe in aliens?" I didn't, but I'd believe in anything for you. "Yes, I do," I said.

"Good, good because they're real, and if I were one. "I'd be sexy, yet lethal alien," I laughed. "Yes, you would make a lovely and powerful alien."

"I miss you," you said again, and my throat tightened. "I miss you too, darling," It felt like my throat was closing in on me. Was I ever going to see you again?

Before I could ask you where you were again, a voice in the background called out to you. "Who are you speaking to Reeka?" The phone sounds as if it was being moved around before it went silent, then another voice came on the line. "Hello, who dis?"

"Hello, who is this?" asked a female.

"Javier, who dis?"

"Javier, who is this? I replied.

"Oh, where's my manners, I'm Angel. Reeka's best friend and I'm guessing you're the Javier, she always been talking about.

She's been talking to about me. My heart swell with joy.