Chapter 16

Date: 27-09-1995

We decided to get married on September 27th. Our first official meeting. The journey of planning our dream wedding was hectic, but seeing your smiles whenever we did something wedding-related, such as cake tasting, finding the perfect location, choosing the themes, and when you went to try on your wedding gown, made it all worthwhile. I loved seeing how excited you got when the wedding planner suggested venue ideas and showed us how everything was progressing.

The only issue I had was being forbidden from seeing you the day before our wedding. I missed holding you in my arms, and I had to go an entire day without seeing your smile or kisses. I was extremely nervous, but knowing that after the wedding, I could hug and kiss you as much as I like, made me feel a bit better.

I was awake before my phone could alarm. I lay awake in bed, allowing my thoughts to wander. I think about you, our past, future, and present. Today is the day you will be known as Patrika Thorne. I felt both nervous and excited. I stood up, anxious. I completed my morning routine before leaving for breakfast.

"Look who's finally awake," said J'quan, my best friend/best man. I smiled as I sat down. "Are you nervous?" he asked, and I nodded. He had an uncanny ability to read me. As a result, I was never able to hide anything from him. It irritated me at times, but at the same time, I was okay with it, because he was able to pick up on my emotions and was always willing to help me with whatever is on my mind.

"You've got every right to be. I mean, you've finally met the woman of your dreams, and you're marrying her today. It's natural reaction. Just remember that she loves you just as much as you love her, and she's probably feeling the same way you are right now, if not worse. But this will not deter her from wanting to marry you. It will also not deter you." I nodded; he was right. It's just a natural reaction. Wedding jitters.

"Okay, let's eat because we have a long and emotional day ahead of us." I laughed as he said this.

I shower and clean up after breakfast. The wedding was scheduled for 2:30 p.m. and it was now 12:30 p.m. The wedding and reception will take place at the hotel where we are currently staying. All I could think about while getting dressed in my suit was you and how you'd look in your gown as you walk down the aisle. I stood on the foot stool, checking myself in the mirror to make sure everything was in order before I had to leave.

I was dressed in a white jacket with a black handkerchief, in the upper pocket. A white vest with four parallel gold buttons, and white slim fit Chino pants. That was matched with a black undershirt that peeked out on both of my wrists. I completed the look with a gold tie and black suede formal Loafers with a gold infinity sign on the top. I had five groomsmen dressed all in black suits, and five bridesmaids dressed in dresses that matched the colour of my tie. Finally, I added my gold Rolex before spraying some cologne.

I took up the brush and brushed my waves. I had gotten a haircut and clean up my beard. I was looking sharp. I took one more look at myself before taking a deep breath and exhaling, trying to keep my nerves under control.

The wedding would be held in the hotel's smaller ballroom. It was large enough to hold forty people, with the reception taking place in the larger ballroom, which could hold up to two hundred people. It wasn't that we were inviting so many people, but it was that large. We chose this hotel because both ballroom floors fit our theme perfectly.

I nodded to myself as I exited the room and made my way down to the venue. My watch read 2:25. When I arrived at the venue, the bridesmaids and groomsmen had already been paired with their partners and were ready to walk down the aisle.

They all turn to look at me as I join them, each with a smile on their face. "Are you still nervous?" J'quan inquired. I nodded and, they all laughed, until Rena, your other best friend, spoke up. "She's just as nervous, if not more so." The bridesmaids exchanged a look before bursting out laughing. I raised an eyebrow, amused. "What?" I inquired.