⊗ 13 ⊗

jaemin's eyes fluttered open with difficulty, the hybrid immediately being blinded by the lightbulb shining brighter than the sun.

"oh, you awoke. let me call the doctor."

the unknown voice that just spoke helped jaemin becoming conscious of his surroundings.

he was in a hospital, laid on a bed in the middle of a white room with pale green curtains and dozens of weird machines. the person that had just spoken and left the room to apparently call the doctor was surely a nurse that was checking on him.

although the boy had acknowledged his surroundings and done a detailed analysis of his location, a few things were still bugging him.

why was he in a hospital? where were jeno and renjun? what had happened? was he here alone?

with a loud sigh, jaemin lifted one of his hands, passing it through his brown hair and gasping out loud when he realised that the beanie he had been wearing wasn't on his head anymore, meaning that his bunny ears were out for everyone and anyone to see. the hybrid looked around the room, hoping that he would be able to find the precious beanie jeno had lent him, and keep his secret safe from the awful people of this world.

"hello, boy, how are you feeling?"

jaemin's whole body tensed as the doctor came inside, his hands immediately reaching for the top of his head to hide his animal attributes the best he could.

"oh, please don't stress over your ears." the doctor said, closing the door behind him. "i am a doctor from the hybrid department, i am here to help you, not to harm you."

the hybrid male's heartbeat decreased in speed slowly as he let his hands fall back onto his lap, looking at the doctor with his head tilted to the side.

"so, how are you feeling?" the doctor asked again.

"a-a bit better, but... my head hurts... a-and my nose too..." jaemin replied.

"that's normal. your nose is broken. and after the shock you went through, it's expected for your head to hurt." the doctor explained, looking at the screens surrounding jaemin to check if everything was going alright. "i've prescribed you painkillers and antibiotics to take for a few days. everything is written on the prescription that they'll give you at the front desk when you'll be dismissed."

"thank you..." jaemin said, smiling sweetly at the doctor.

"no problem, little bunny." the doctor patted his shoulder effectively. "if you don't have any questions, i guess that i'll allow your friend to get inside and see you. he's been asking to enter since you arrived here."

"o-oh..." jaemin stuttered, his cheeks colouring red at the fluttery feeling that tickled his insides when the doctor mentioned that someone cared enough to be worried about him.

"i'll go now, don't hesitate to call if you have any requests. you're free to go whenever you'd like." the doctor finished, switching the few machines that were still working off. "and here is your beanie." he added picking up the piece of clothing that had been placed in the bed table's drawer.

"thanks." jaemin smiled at him as the doctor left the room, closing the door behind his back.

the hybrid male let out a loud sigh, his fingers playing with the hem of the beanie jeno had lent him.

he could barely remember what had happened. he recalled being in the convenience store renjun worked at, helping a little girl grab a jar of pickles, and next thing he knew he woke up with an aching nose in a hospital.