06

Dakota POV

Marshall stared at my blankly for a minute, "hey, you wanna go outside for a minute and get some air?" I asked as I ran my hand down his chest. He nodded quickly, taking my hand in his and leading me to the front door. 

There was a lingering silence between us before he cleared his throat, "have you taken a test or anything?" he asked. I shook my head, "I- I haven't scraped up enough money to go and get one yet" I said as I shrugged it off. "I just know my period didn't ever come this month" I said softly. 

Marshall let out a sigh, "is that why you're hanging around Michael, for a few bucks?" he asked as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "In my defense I didn't call him up, he happened to be at Hot Shots and he gave me his number" 

"And if the man wanted to buy me things, I wasn't going to stop him" I said. "You know there's fucking beef between his people and mine" Marshall said as I pressed my tongue to my cheek. 

"There's no use in talking about it Marshall, you cheated on me. I don't have to explain shit to you" I said as I turned to walk away. Marshall followed behind me, "Dakota I don't care how wrong I was"

"If you were in a tight spot, or needed something you could have called me or Deshaun" he said before there was another silence. I shrugged, "yeah, maybe next time" I said softly as he tucked some loose hair behind my ear. 

Marshall took my hand in his, "come on" he said as we walked down the street. "Where are we going?" I asked softly. "Sunoco, we're gonna go get a test so you can take one" he said as he intertwined his fingers with mine. 

--

We walked into the convenience store of the gas station as I veered off, grabbing a pregnancy test off the shelf before heading into the bathroom and locking the door behind me. "God, help me" I said as I let out a few deep breaths as my hands started to shake, as I tried to rip open the test. 

I mumbled a few words to myself under my breath as I finished taking the test and set it on the sink as my mind started to race. What if the test was positive? Where would we get money for a baby? 

Was I ready to be a mom, was Marshall ready to be a dad? Are we just gonna ignore the fact that he cheated on me? 

I sighed and ran my hands over my face trying to ignore the splitting headache I had, before there were a few knocks on the door. "Who is it?" I asked as I looked up from my hands. "It's me, it's Marshall. Can I come in?" he asked as I unlocked the door allowing him to come in. 

"You waiting on the test?" he asked as I nodded. "How much longer?" he asked nervously as he stumbled over his words, "few more minutes" I said as he nodded and shoved his hands in his pockets. Marshall let out a sigh not being able to stand the silence, "I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for what I did" he said as I closed my eyes not wanting to hear him. 

"Marsh, please spare me from how sorry you are" I said as I let out a sigh, "If you ever meant what you said, about changing and wanting to be the man I needed you would do it, but instead you tell me what I want to hear and then continue to do the same shit behind my back" I said as I sighed and turned toward the sink to see the results.

"Goddamnit, its positive" I said as I shook my head.

"Kota, I want you to know I'm not giving this relationship up without a fight" he said as tears started to well up, "I want you to know that I love you, but I'm not perfect"

I shook my head as the tears started to fall, "Marshall we're barely into our twenties, we can't even afford ourselves" I said. "How are we going to add a baby into that?" I asked as Marshall continuously wiped the tears that fell. 

"We'll figure it out, I will pick up more hours at work or get a second job" he said as I shook my head over and over again, refusing to believe this was happening. "As long as that baby is fed and there is a roof over our heads, we're okay" 

"We're okay" he said as he pulled me into him, trying to sooth me.