04

Dakota POV 
A few weeks later 

"Oh, fuck" I said as I yawned and continued to mix drinks. "None of that now" Olivia, another bartender said as she playfully nudged me. "I'm fighting to stay away Liv, I've lost count how many doubles I worked this week" 

She let out a sigh, "go on, and head home. I'll close for you tonight" she said as I furrowed my eyebrows. "You're pulling my leg" I said as I let out a scoff and crossed my arms. She shook her head, "I'm not, go home and get some rest Dakota" 

There was a lingering silence between us, "you and Marshall doing okay?" she asked hesitantly as I started to get my stuff together. I shrugged, "we're trying to do better, we're still struggling with money and shit but we're trying" I said softly. 

Olivia nodded, "I just wanna see you happy" she said as she pulled me into her, as tight as she could as relief came over my body. I let out a small smile, "I'll see you tomorrow" I said before walking out to my car and starting it. 

I sighed and rested my head on the wheel, barely able to keep my eyes open. I contemplated on falling asleep in the backseat, or even calling Deshaun for a ride home. But the faster I got home, the faster I'd be able to lay in bed. 

I toughed it out and blared loud music all the way to keep me from falling asleep. "Just another block, and then you'll be home" I said to myself as I pulled into the parking lot of the apartment complex. 

I stood in front of the apartment door with my eyes half closed as I fumbled with my keys, trying to get it in the key whole before opening the door to see the lights dimmed and articles of clothing all over the floor. 

"What the fuc-?" I said softly as I furrowed my eyebrows, before I heard moaning coming from the bedroom.

I stood still for a minute trying to process what was even happening, before I walked to the bedroom door, opening it to find Marshall in bed with someone else. "Marshall?" I asked as I could feel the tears welling up. 

He sat up quickly, "baby, I- I can explain" he said as he jumped out of the bed trying to grab my arm. I pulled from his grasp unable to say anything. "Dakota, I'm sorry" he said as he followed me out of the bedroom. 

"You're just sorry you got caught you fucking asshole" I said as I slammed the door behind me. I felt like I couldn't breath, like there was something sitting on my chest. 

I drove, screaming and crying at the road until I ended up back in the parking lot of Hot Shots knowing this was the only safe place to go tonight. "Hey" I said softly as I walked back into the bar. 

"Hey, what are you doing back?" Olivia asked, "and why are your eyes bloodshot?"

"I walked in on Marshall with another girl" I said as I grabbed a cup to take a shot. "You're kidding me" she said as I let out a scoff. "I wish I was, but that's what I had the pleasure of walking into" 

"I've wasted years on Marshall, I'm so emotionally detached" I said, "I don't fucking care" I said as I pushed my tits up and started to take orders. 

"Hey sweetheart" I heard a man say as I turned to see him leaning on the bar, "can I get another?" he asked as he shook his glass. A small smile came across my face, "what'ya drinking?" I asked as I took the empty cup from his hands. 

"Scotch on the rocks, please" he said as I poured his drink. 

"Michael" he said as I placed his drink in front of him. I cleared my throat, "Dakota" I said as I could feel my cheeks getting red. "Beautiful name, for a beautiful girl" he said as he shot me a wink before walking back over to his group of friends.