chapter 9 - nothing more, nothing less

Nobody knew what it was. This 'demon' everyone called her. After all her grief, there was no way she could go back.

No thoughts whatsoever. Just emptiness. What could be her next path?

Destroying cars and houses, tearing trees from their roots,

Maybe she was the rise of a new witch. But it had to be something more than that.

No other thoughts less than her beloveds.

Mizuki and Mafuyu.

She kept them in a single memory where they would live from her thoughts. They could do what she said, and she could control what they would do.

She felt as if that memory was paradise.

Soon after the death of Mizuki, it was unbearable for Kanade. After all this grief she had in her head, she became something more than a witch.

As she moved, the witch named Ikalain moved fast and destroyed anything in her path. It was so strong, it wasn't even a witch at all.

Two magical girls stumbled upon it.

"Woah, what is that!?" Nene shrieked. "I think that's the new witch. Ikalain. It doesn't even look like a witch at all." Shizuku sighed. "Only massive amounts of grief from a magical girl can make that." Kyubey echoed.

Kyubey looked around with his round red eyes. "That is a strong witch. That's like what Walpurgisnacht was." Nene turned to Kyubey. "Wasn't that witch some witches fused together?" She asked. Kyubey nodded. "Correct. I have no idea who could've made this witch, but it had to have been a magical girl with too much grief in her soul gem. Most likely way over the limit."

Shizuku watched the witch. Nene cried, "We have to help her! Either fix her or--" Nene was cut off. "There's no way to fix or help a witch, Nene," Shizuku muttered. "Wh-what?" Nene turned to Shizuku.

Shizuku closed her eyes for a moment. "There's no way to help this witch. She is much worse than a witch, just like Kyubey said." Shizuku firmly stared at Nene while turning. "Kyubey, can a strong witch like this be saved?" Shizuku asked.

"Unfortunately, no. Ikalain is way different than a regular witch," Kyubey started. "A witch can be saved in one way, while Ikalain can't. A witch also has labyrinths and moves more slowly, while Ikalain moves faster without a labyrinth." He slowly shifted over to the direction of the witch.

"If nothing can kill this thing, then only a god can," Kyubey muttered. "I'll help defeat it!" Nene yelled. Kyubey looked at Nene with a stern look. "This witch is dangerous for a magical girl like you." It mumbled.

"Are you calling me weak!?" Nene protested. "I need to help!" She wailed. Nene fell on the floor. "Please let me help you!"

Kyubey looked at her for a moment. "Fine. But I won't protect you." He muttered. He sighed, watching Nene attack Ikalain.

"...Aahh!" Nene yelled, trying to attack Ikalain. Nene got an idea. I should be able to save her. I just hope this works!

Nene lifted her spear and tore off Ikalain's arm. "Okay! Let's do this! Ikalain... Connect!" Nene yelled. "What? Why is Nene trying to connect with Ikalain?" Kyubey stared.

"'Connect?'" Shizuku asked, sitting on the roof of a building. She stared at Nene fighting the witch.

After Ikalain and Nene connected, Ikalain burst into pieces and disappeared, showing Kanade. "Wh-- Yoisaki-san?" Shizuku shrieked. She jumped down to her. Kanade fell gently on the ground, with destroyed buildings and gray lighting all around her.

She slowly opened her eyes. "Huh?" She didn't realize where she was until the three explained everything. "That is crazy." Kanade got up and looked around her. "Oh... I've done so much..."

"Don't worry, Kanade. You're safe. We won't hurt you." Nene smiled. Kanade looked up at Nene, then smiled. Kanade got up, and Shizuku asked a question.

"Um, Nene, what is connecting?" She asked. "Have you not learned anything from Kyubey? Connecting is where you share powers with the person you're fighting with!" Nene laughed at Shizuku for a few moments.

Kanade never realized how pretty she was, Nene's long, green hair, and her eyes, made her very pretty. No. I can't fall for her, she'll just die too... Kanade looked away, but couldn't help it.

Nene was just too pretty.

"Hello? Yoisaki-san? Are you listening?" Shizuku tapped Kanade on the shoulder. "Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry. I was just spacing out."

"It's alright. But see this Kyubey, I saved her. Didn't need your help anyways." Nene smiled seeing Kanade was safe.

Then Kyubey realized. What was Shizuku doing? Something was happening.

"Well, let's go. We need to find more witches to defeat." Nene smiled and took Kanade's hand. "...!" Kanade smiled a bit. She prayed this time Nene wouldn't die.

Hours later, the three showed up at Shizuku's house. "Wow, your house is so pretty." Kanade looked around. She noticed Shiho, who was just practicing.

"Ah, Yoisa—" Shizuku got cut off. "You can just call me Kanade." Kanade smiled.

"Ah! Okay!" Shizuku smiled back and the three went up to Shizuku's room.

"That's weird. I didn't expect Shizuku to be a magical girl too." A mysterious girl sighed and looked away. "Kyubey, how long has she been a magical girl for?" The girl sighed then gazed at Kyubey. "Well, approximately three weeks. You haven't noticed? You go around patrolling for witches every day."

"Hmph. I've never seen her, until she totally defeated Ikalain. Wow. So strong." The girl rolled her eyes and turned to Kyubey, who was about to speak.

"Well, Kyubey, are you able to kill a magical girl?" The girl looked at him. "No. I will not kill a magical girl." He sighed a little.

"Oh wow! It's so dangerous up here! What would happen if I fell!" The girl sarcastically spoke to herself. Kyubey looked at her unamused.

"Haruka, stop goofing off."

"Alright alright fine! I'll stop!" Haruka cut off Kyubey's head. "Hah. As if I would listen to you."

Kyubey reappeared. "That was mean." He sat by Haruka.

"Well I'll never follow orders from a white fairy like you." She mumbled.

"But, seems like I have a magical girl to fight.~" Haruka smirked and jumped off.