Chapter Twelve: On The Spot

As fast as the weekend came, it was gone once again, and the Monday morning sun greet you.

You attempted to roll over and face away from the window but it did little to deter the light.
Although Kankuro seemed to be completely unaffected as he draped an arm over you, your movement just barely making him conscious enough to pull you closer.

It was purely for... Personal gain to continue sleeping in his bed, of course. Gaara didn't think to wake you, likely from the concern of seeing something he didn't want to see upon entering his brother's room, but it was also a comfort to sleep beside another body.

It almost felt like you were back in Kasai, cuddled up in bed with your younger brother who had a nightmare, and waking up to his tiny, sleeping body completely safe and comfortable beside you.

You didn't realize how much you actually missed the company until you were sharing it once more. Wherever his soul went, you could only hope he was happy now.

"Kankuro..." You attempted to nudge, only to get a groan in response. "Hey, wake up. It's morning."
You didn't want to be awake either but now that Kakashi wouldn't be there, you'd like to return to school. If that were even possible with how tightly you were being held to like a teddy bear.

With another nudge and yet no response, you began to struggle against his grip, finally pulling free when you managed to shift his arm off you.

As much as you would've just loved pondering your relationship with Kankuro right then, it was too early to even think let alone ponder.
But the fact you were comfortable sharing a bed already, what base was that on?

No, you didn't want to think about anything other than brushing your teeth from morning breath. With all your energy, you dragged yourself to the bathroom, keeping your eyes closed the entire time you brushed. Just because you were awake, doesn't mean you needed to be alive.
With a quick comb through your hair, you at least looked decent enough to go outside, even if you weren't changed out of your pajamas yet.

Today you could let Kankuro sleep since he didn't go to school anyway, but it did cross your mind to try to wake him again just for the hell of it.
Maybe you would've if you had the energy for it.
But instead, you crawled your way to the living room like a zombie; metaphorically of course, but you sure felt like it physically.

"How did you sleep?" Temari gave a single look at your tired face and questioned playfully.
In response, you gave a long yawn,
"Could be better. Kankuro's snoring woke me up a few times."

Well, you wouldn't call it quite snoring, but that mysterious purring he did was enough to make you stay up and listen to it more than was really necessary, although it was a nice sound, how could you not?

Gaara didn't look up from his cup of what looked like coffee, and Temari set a plate on the table for you.

"Well, you could always sleep in the spare bed. I don't know why you started sleeping in there with him anyway. Isn't it cramped?"

"I wouldn't say that," You sat down at the table and picked up the fork, eager to dig in, "But it's... Been hard since the fire I suppose. I enjoy the company, and he's big enough to be his own space heater."
You added the joke at the end but it wasn't entirely wrong either. While Kankuro may have not been incredibly muscled, he was still the biggest of the siblings. Just laying beside him let you steal the body heat.

Temari's face twisted in an empathetic frown before she turned back around to continue cooking,
"Well if you say so, I won't stop you if he's alright with it. But just remember my brother isn't the caring type. He can try but..." She trailed off like she was trying to find what to think of to say that wouldn't be a direct insult. "Well, if he says anything stupid, I'm here for you too."

"Sure, thank you." Giving a forced smile, your attention turned back to the food.
Temari was trying to look out for you and it was appreciated, but Kankuro had proven multiple times he could be kind in difficult situations if he really tried, especially now that he actually began to understand what you needed wasn't distractions and jokes.
Although you wanted to stand up for him, you managed to keep your mouth shut about it, if only to keep your growing relationship to yourself for now.

Once breakfast was over, Gaara and Temari walked with you on your way to the school. The redhead wasn't even trying to hide his distance from you at that point, but Temari didn't seem to notice as she filled the silence with empty small talk, mostly talking alone as she told stories you weren't exactly paying attention to.