Chapter Five: Simply Practice

Did he actually just do that?! You were so starstruck after an enemy ninja sweeping in like that, you almost couldn't process if it really happened or not. It was so swift, you had barely even felt it. Did you even like it?
You couldn't be sure of that just yet, but you were really to snap and give the guy an earful. How could he just up and kiss someone he barely knew?
You opened your mouth but before you got the chance to raise your voice, a small shape slid into the corner of your vision, stopping you rather abruptly.
The stranger forced a gentle smile and a short wave.

"Hello?" Her voice was gentle, as though she were merely whispering. Although attempting to make eye contact, she averted her bright violet eyes as fast as you looked upon them, her slick black hair falling over her face.
"Hello," You returned the greeting, unable to shake your confusion about her. Was she scared or merely shy?
The girl twiddled her fingers in silence for a short moment before she squeaked and lowered her head into a bow.
"So-Sorry, I'm not good at talking to str-strangers. Naruto wanted me to... To ask you if you wanted to practice fi-fighting with the others?"
You caught a hint of pink upon her cheeks and you quickly caught on, giving a bright smile. So she liked the guy, huh?
That was kinda cute, maybe you'd get the chance to be with someone like that one day? Who knew, those were questions for another time.

For now, fighting was rather interesting. You had gotten some training in your small village but how would you compare to the skills of a hidden village student?
"Sure," Standing up, you made it a point to ignore Kankuro standing beside you. For what he did, he could get the silent treatment until you were done fighting, or... Maybe whenever you felt like speaking to him once more.
You still haven't decided what you should do about finding the sand ninjas sneaking into the Hokage's house after all. Were they an ally or enemy?
The girl quickly gave a nod and a short wave, urging you to follow her to the cleared-out battlegrounds where multiple other students were gathered and cheering for the duels.
It wasn't hard to point out Naruto's bright hair among the others, and as you approached, he seemed to have sighted you as well and bound over.
"Hey, (y/n)!" His gleam was bright and sunny. "Glad ya' made it!"
"Of course," You began to gesture to the girl to thank her for the escort but as you looked around, she had somehow slipped off and vanished at a moment's notice.

Ninjas will be ninjas, she was fast. You didn't even know her name.
"So anyway," He continued, not seeming to notice your confusion about her disappearance, "A few students are still waiting to duel, I think Ino is up next. You wanna fight her?"
"Anything works," You looked around to the others and saw the girl cheering the current fighters on.
Perfect timing as well, as one of the students was pinned down and quickly surrendered, calling the match.
The chaos of voices relaxed as well upon a couple of others running into the ring to help the fighters step off, limping slightly in their walk.
It was good practice, but how was getting hurt a fun pastime? You couldn't understand it, but it was worth a try anyhow.
You were living here, after all, it was time to get used to how they were living!

Stepping into the open arena, Ino approached, giving a short smile and wave, but the energy in her eyes, this was not going to be easy.
"Hey, (y/n)!" She sounded as chirpy and relaxed as ever. "This is going to be your first time fighting, right?"
You only managed a short nod; with everyone's eyes on you, it was hard to simply admit you'd never been in a real fight before.
Sure there were duels back in your home, but they were no more dangerous than playing Rock Paper Scissors. All the adults had been adamant about assuring the young generations did not get hurt.

Despite that, you got yourself into a battle position, raising your hands up into fists to protect your face.
Yet Ino didn't do the same. She giggled playfully before placing her hand on her waist.
"What are you doing? We're not boxing, come at me already. You know how to use Jitsu, don't you?"
People behind you giggled, and heat burned your ears. Of course, this wasn't a normal practice battle.
"Right," You clapped your hands together quickly, attempting to shrug off the stares as if the blunder never happened. Your Jitsu wasn't the best, but you knew some basic moves of course.
"Fire Style!" You started, repeating back the proper hand movements, "Fire Wave Jitsu!"
As quick as you could, you flicked your wrist to bring about the scorching flames from behind. You didn't look back to see them, but you could feel the intensity of the heat on your back and the near blinding light that reflected on the ground below.