Chapter 19

Hours had gone by, Moxxie and Millie's voices were almost hoarse from calling out for their children and their throats had been left sore. They were exhausted from searching, their bodies were practically aching, it was torture to keep up. But they still didn't stop. They didn't want to stop. Not until their babies were safe in their arms. The poor couple probably would have spent all night scouring for Max and Maisie if Blitzo didn't intervene.

"We can't keep searching." He said. "We have to stop and continue tomorrow morning."

"You all can stop." Moxxie said. "But we're not."

"It's getting dark! You can't search in the dark!"

"Believe me Moxxie, I know exactly how you feel." Blitzo said.

"No you don't!" Moxxie said. "You know where your daughter is! You know that she's safe! You know that you're gonna see her again! But we don't know any of that for our children! If we stop now we may never see our son or our daughter again!"

"That can still happen if you keep going!" Blitzo counter-argued. "I'm not a scientist but I know that searching in the jungle, in the pitch black of night, is a good way to get killed! And if you two die, what happens to your kids?"

Moxxie couldn't answer.

"Moxxie I know it feels impossible for you to even consider stopping to rest, but think rationally. You know I'm right."

"But what about my kids being alone in the night? What if they get killed? How do I know they'll even survive the night?!"

"I'm sorry but I can't give you that guarantee. You're just gonna have to have faith that somebody's lookin out for them."

They say that it's important to follow your heart and that's true. But it's also important to listen to your head. And sometimes you the head will say things that make more sense than what the heart says. This is an example of such. Moxxie's heart was screaming for him to continue searching and to not rest until Max and Maisie were found. But his head was listening reasons for why continuing with the search now was a bad idea. He wouldn't be able to see anything due to the darkness, most predatory creatures were nocturnal, and at the moment they were too tired to fight any beast that would try to attack them. In other words, it would suicide to keep looking.

"Alright." Moxxie reluctantly agreed. "We'll rest for the night."

"No!" Millie protested desperately. "No we are not stopping!"

"Millie he's right. We can't go on like this. Not until morning."

"No! It'll be dark! Maisie is afraid of the dark!" Millie said holding Fluffles as if the stuffed animal was her daughter. "She'll be so scared! She'll start to cry! We can't just leave her to cry in the dark! I'm not leaving my babies in the dark!"

Moxxie took hold of his wife, gently fighting her to stop and calm down. As expected, she fought like a mother bear. Screaming and demanding that her husband release her so she could keep looking for her babies. Oh how it hurt Moxxie to do this to her, but he knew that letting her go would only end in disaster. So he, with help from Blitzo, just held her until she passed out from exhaustion and stress.

After that they tucked her into a sleeping bag and set to work building a fire.

"This can't happen again." Moxxie said under his breath. "It just can't. Oh Dear God, please don't let this happen again."

"Hey it's gonna be okay." Blitzo said trying his best to sound compassionate. "You're not going to lose your kids like you lost your father."

"Why does this keep happening to me? Why do the people I love keep getting taken away from me?" Moxxie couldn't stop the tears from forming in his eyes.