Chapter 4

Moxxie wasn't the only one thinking long and hard about the decision to travel to the Binomial Isle. Charlie was thrilled at finally being given the opportunity to travel to the wild and help protect it's creatures, and if it was any other location she would have said yes on the spot. But she had mixed feelings about the Binomial Isle. So much so that she had to take more than one day to reach a decision.

She decided to ask her friends what they thought on the subject. She met with them at the local cafe, where they had coffee and she told them everything about the offer. Vaggie was the darkly tanned woman with her hair tightly pulled up and Angel was the skinny fellow wearing the open shirt, and at first glance you'd swear he wasn't a man of science.

"You're not actually thinking of going are you?" Vaggie said when she heard the news. "Hon three people disappeared on that island."

"They said that it would be safe and that we'd have a guide." Charlie said.

"And they just picked you to be their animal record keeper? You? A rookie fresh off of campus?"

"I was highly recommneded by Dr. Hamiliton's colleagues."

"But you've never met them."

"But they knew him and he knew me. He probably told them about me."

"What kind of animals are on this island anyway?" Angel asked.

"They said that they were rare speices that have never been seen before, and rare means valuable and valuable means poachers. If I came, I could be contributing to the safety of that island's wildlife. That's something I've been wanting to do for years."

"But are you sure you can handle going there toots? I mean with the history behind it and all?"

"We all have to face ghosts eventually Angel."

"What do your parents think about this?" Vaggie asked.

"I haven't told them yet, but I already know what they're going say. It's a bad idea and I should look for a new line of work."

"Well they might be right in this instance. After all, you wouldn't want to run into some horrible creature that would rip you to shreds."

"Yeah like Vaggie's mother." Angel teased.

"How many times I've I told you to stop insulting my mother?" Vaggie snapped.

"It's not my fault the woman is evil incarnate."

"This is why she doesn't like you."

"No she doesn't like me because I'm a man. She hates all men. She even hates your father."

"If you would just be nice to her-"

"I was nice to her when I met her. I was nice, polite, and friendly and she called me a brainless male tramp ."

"She actually called you that?" Charlie said.

"Well technically she said it in Spanish. So I had a few words for her in Italian."

"What did you say?"

"Nothing too mean."

"You said eat shit and die, devil hag." Vaggie said.

"Well she never knew I said that. She doesn't speak Italian."

Charlie didn't even bother discussing it with the people at Animal Haven. They didn't believe that she was ready for the wild at all. As for her parents, that didn't agree with it just as she as she had suspected.

"Now Charlie I have allowed you to have your little hobby but there is no way on earth I am allowing you to go off alone to some island where there is no human civilization." Her father had said.