24. Never Feed your Demons

Start from the beginning

"Then go away," I huffed. I totally didn't want him to go away. I needed this lesson, but I hoped to force him to give me the password because I hated being a prisoner.

"I do not want to anger my future queen," my wonderful doorknocker said. Or was he just trying to get on my good side? Either way, I appreciated it.

"Come on, Lubris, you know the rules. Open up," Ash said.

"Lubris, you are not to open this door until someone gives me the password!" I ordered.

The door swung open, and I still didn't have the password! Ugh. "Lubris!"

Lubris's face slumped like hot metal. "Sorry, Almost Queen, but whoever has the password may enter."

What use was it being royal if no one obeyed your commands? "I know you meant well, Lubris. Don't worry," I said. It wasn't his fault.

On the bright side, there stood a super cute demon in a tight black t-shirt with: Sometimes I Wrestle with my Demons, But Mostly we Just Cuddle written across the front.

Do not cuddle the demon even if his weird juju is making you want to! Was my mantra for today.

Ash pushed his way past me into the room.

"By all means, come in," I griped.

"Thanks! I see you're dressed. Too bad," Ash said, giving me a crooked and adorable, and incredibly mischievous smile. My stomach did a little flip.

Blade who?

Just kidding.

A super cute demon could not turn my head just because of a mischievous smile. I mean, anyone can smile. It doesn't make them special.

I pasted a frown on my face so he could see how little effect he had on me. "You're also dressed," I said flatly.

"That's because if anyone saw my perfect, hot, buff naked form, they'd instantaneously go up in flames."

"Is that like a demon thing?" Maybe it was a death glare power, like when gorgons or basilisks turn people to stone.

"It's an Ash thing," he grinned again. It had the same butterflies in the stomach effect on me as before. Was he doing this on purpose? I did not know, because silly me, I hadn't thought about needing demon intel before now.

Maybe demons were intimidated by crosses like vampires. I crossed my index fingers. "Take that!"

He laughed, low and throaty. "Do you think I'm afraid of fingers? Nice manicure, though."

"I'm making the sign of the cross."

"Look, Rowen, fingers and crosses do not affect demons."

Salt! That's what you used on demons. I should've stocked up on it when I learned at the banquet that a demon would be one of my instructors.

"Or salt," Ash said. "That one's hilarious, by the way. Like a little circle of sodium chloride could thwart a powerful demon."

"Never made sense to me, either," I conceded.

Note to self: brush up on salient facts on all supernatural beings, likes, dislikes, eradication of ...

Ash surveyed my room, cocking his head at the bookshelf where the books in the Demonology and Possession section shuffled up and down as if greeting their master. Ash gave them a flippant wave, then settled his gaze on the vanity table. He looked into the mirror, smoothed his hair, and made a finger gun gesture and clucking sound at his reflection. "Looking good!" he said. "Now, shall we get started on your lesson?"