Chapter 2

I awoke to a voice and slight shaking. The sound was innocent, like a 4-year-old girl.

"Andrew. Annnndddrewww." she whispered. My eyes fluttered open to see a naïve girl leaning over me, running her fingers through my hair. Cosette accidentally touched the cut on my head. I winced. She helped me up and guided my to the bathroom where she plopped me on the toilet and grabbed her stool. Gathering the medical supplies from the medicine cabinet, Cosette took a cleaning wipe, ointment, and a bandaid. She cleaned my cut and applied some cream and put a bandage on it.

"There. Better." she gave me a hug.

"Ok. We need to get you to school and I need to get to work. Mrs.Opis will take you to her house after school and feed you dinner because I'm working late at the diner tonight. I will pick you up around 11:30. Ok?" I said, kneeling and putting my hands on her shoulders.

"Ok." she replied. Cosette grabbed her backpack and I took my car keys and headed out the door.

---------------------------------------------

Around 12 AM, I pulled in front of the Opis residence. Walking up to the house, I try to make myself look presentable. I knock on the door and Samantha, the oldest daughter about my age, answered the door with a sleeping Cosette in her arms.

"Hey. Here she is. She fell asleep like an hour ago." Samantha said.

"Thanks," I grabbed a $20 bill from my pocket and tried to give it to her.

"No. Keep it," she said, handing me my sister.

"Thanks again." I said while heading towards my car. I put her in her booster seat and buckled her in and kissed her forehead.

---------------------------------------------

The next morning, I found my dad passed out on the couch. His typical Saturday morning. I made my way to the kitchen to make breakfast for Cosette. I haven't really eaten much lately. Just a few things here and there but that's it. She is constantly attempting to make me eat but she gives up after a few tries.

"Eww. What's that smell?" she said as she walked into the room.

"Alcohol. Never drink." I commanded.

"If it smells that bad, forget it. I will never even think about it." She replied.

"Good. You don't want to end up like a human leech. Living off of people and not working." I buttered her toast and slid her plate to her.

"Thanks," she muttered, "Anyone ask about the bandaid?"

"Yea. Just about every one I work with at that diner." I laughed. She cut up her egg and shoved a white piece in her mouth.

"You need to eat," she said, "I'll clean up."

"No and I'm not hungry."

"Eat." she got up and climbed onto the counter and grabbed a bowl.

"Get down before you hurt yourself and I need to play the role of nurse. I'll eat an apple." I said.

"Not enough," she stated, "You need more."

"Forget it. I'll eat later."

"No. You'll eat now." She commanded. She tossed an apple and a granola bar to me. "Eat."

---------------------------------------------

Cosette had a sleepover at a friend's house so it was just me and Howard home. The nightmare started when the beast awakened.

"Geez. You're finally awake. Have enough to drink last night?" I muttered.

"Why? Did you want some too?" He replied. He pushed the open bottle of Jack Daniels towards me. I refused his drunken offer by hitting the bottle out of his hand. "Why in the world did you do that!"

"Because you had enough to drink. Enough to last you till you die. But, by judging by how much you drink in a day, wouldn't be long. You've basically annihilated you liver." He reached up to grab my throat but I was quicker and took his wrist in my hand. He broke free of my grip and grabbed an empty beer bottle and smashed it over my head. Last thing I saw before I blacked out was my so called father leaning over me and saying "Don't cross me. Let the glass in your head be your first lesson."

He walked out the door and let me on the floor with a bleeding head. I thought to myself, 'I'm going to die.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

HELLO MY DEAR READERS

Well, that was interesting. This chapter is basically about the relationship between Andrew and Cosette.

More Characters:
Mrs.Opis: Erin Bethea
Samantha Opis: Rydel Lynch

MORE CHARACTERS AS THE STORY DEVELOPS!

XOXO,
Delilah 😘