Opting for boots over slippers signaled that I was headed to a place where safety was far from guaranteed, a place I might need to make a swift escape from. Not being the fastest runner, I relied on the extra traction from the boots

Although there was no time for my traditional light makeup, I made sure not to forget my perfume. I swept my curls over my cheekbones and tied them back, simply because Romano had expressed a preference for that style. A crazy preference to be able to see himself in my eyes as he scared me.

He was a twisted man. But I was a girl to have found that appealing. Why did I find myself following his every command? It was as if my own will disappeared whenever he was involved. It was a troubling realization, but there was an undeniable pull to the danger he represented.

I grabbed my phone and room keys, ensuring that if anyone came looking for me, they would assume I was asleep, as my bedtime wasn't far off. Cautiously, I made my way to the kitchen, where I filled my small flask with the gin from the counter and added some soda. I took a sip from my cocktail, needing to be sure of what I had done.

The taste was... unfamiliar, but the feeling wasn't. I hadn't mixed it for the flavor. Ever since I discovered that alcohol helped me cope with anything related to Romano, I hadn't hesitated to intoxicate myself with it. For two consecutive days, I had been tipsy in my room, using vodka, gin, or brandy to drown out the disturbing thoughts of Greg's assault and Romano's presence.

Joanna was out on the patio, where I had last seen her chatting and smoking with Les. Her decision to skip the bordello tonight was due to her period starting earlier in the day, leaving her to contend with her mood swings on that foyer, eating and drinking there throughout.

The foyer was bustling with men gearing up for the night ahead, while others were still recovering from the day's toil. There was no chance of slipping past them unnoticed, and waiting until they dispersed was like wait until midnight. That wasn't an option.

With a sense of urgency, I rushed to the power room, clutching a pair of scissors. Without hesitation, I severed a few wires, not fully understanding the consequences but hoping it would create a distraction and buy me some time.

The house plunged into darkness instantly, accompanied by the grumbling of the men outside. Realizing I couldn't escape faster than they would investigate the problem, I quickly retreated behind the door and huddled there.

In a matter of seconds, flashlights illuminated the area as the men from the foyer rushed in, led by Greg, to inspect the cut wires and grumble amongst themselves. Seizing the opportunity, I slipped out of my hiding spot and sprinted out of the house before anyone could notice my absence.

As I stumbled out of the powerhouse, Greg softly called my name, likely having detected my presence by my perfume. However, receiving no response from me as I bolted outside, he ceased his search with his phone's flashlight.

Taking advantage of the distraction, I made my way to the back of the house and raced towards the gates. While no one would reprimand me for wanting to leave, I couldn't risk being accompanied by a driver or an escort who might discover my rendezvous with Romano. That would be disastrous. So, this was my problem and mine alone.

The men guarding the gates had scattered in search of light. I seized the opportunity to open the gates and make a break for it.

In no time, I was on the road, flagging down a cab and using the last five minutes of Romano's time frame to hit the highway. With adrenaline coursing through my veins, I prayed that I had made the right decision and that this escape would not leave me even more vulnerable.

###

It infuriated me to no end how rich and ruthless men often imposed absurd rules that they themselves couldn't resist breaking.