It's Lovely Weather for a Wager With You

Start from the beginning

"What exactly does she have against you?"

"I have no idea. She was kind of nice to me at the beginning but now she just hates me. Or maybe I hate her. I don't know, the only thing that matters is us passing as a couple and shutting her down for good."

"With schemes like these you could be a lawyer yourself."

"I'm much too nice to be a lawyer."

"You don't think I'm nice?"

"You're ruthless."

Jennie paused and looked up at me. For a moment, I thought I'd offended her and was preparing my apology when she laughed. "Good. That's what I aim for."

Jennie finished our omelets, put our plates on the counter, and slid into the stool next to me.

"Bon appétit."

"This is really good," I said after a few bites.

"Thanks. I know food is the way to your heart."

I grinned. "True, but that's still the same point you made before."

"Are we keeping score?"

"Always. I know your three different coffee orders and I named four things about your food choices yesterday."

"Those are all food related, so you get one point and I get one point since mine was food related."

"What? No way! I have named six different things you like and dislike."

"That are all in one category; thus one point."

"Cheater."

"These are the rules."

"Fine. Challenge accepted. You hate driving, that's why you walk everywhere."

"You're always cold, no matter the temperature."

"Your favorite bands are Death Cab for Cutie and Iron & Wine."

"You love Wes Anderson movies."

"Your favorite movies are Rom-Coms."

"You broke your ankle in high school playing soccer and again in college when you were running to class late and fell in a hole and a third time rock climbing."

I laughed, impressed. "Wow, I had no idea you were keeping such close tabs on my ankle."

Jennie took a bite and chewed slowly. "I'm not, but you never shut up about it and this apartment isn't very big."

I laughed again. "Then you've heard all of my secrets, huh?"

"I know much more than you're aware of."

I looked at her curiously, but before I could question her, my phone lit up with a text and I realized I was going to be late if I didn't leave. "We are definitely coming back to this, but for now, we'll call it a draw. I have to warn you though: I'm going to win this. We both know it."

"I don't lose."

"You should figure out how to do it, since you will be losing." Jennie put on her face of confidence and ! suddenly questioned my ability to win this debate.

"Care for a little wager?"

"What did you have in mind?"

Jennie drummed her fingers on the counter in thought. "Loser has to buy dinner?"

"You're on. I'm going to make you take me to the most expensive restaurant in town."

"Careful what you ask for, because I'll do the same and order the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu."

"Oh, I'm not worried; I know I won't lose."

Jennie smiled and I saw a faint hint of laughter on her lips and I swore that was the first time Jennie had ever looked at me with what could only be described as affection. It had taken almost three years of knowing her, but it seemed like I was finally beginning to win her over.

"By the way, I do actually think we should get together and get our fake dating story straight before the party," I said.

"It looks like we're meeting for dinner then," Jennie replied matter-of-factly.

"When?"

"Thursday?"

"I'll pick you up from work?"

"It's a date."

"Oh, it's a date now?"

"Yes it is, because you're paying."

"Wait, what?"

"You're my girlfriend right? Aren't you supposed to pay for things?"

"First of all we are equals in our relationship which means I don't pay for everything. Second of all I'm pretty sure you make at least twice what I do, so shouldn't you be the one paying?"

"And yet, I was under the impression that you're the one trying to court me?/don't need a fake girlfriend." Jennie smirked with her eyebrow curved high in victory.

"How are you so good at getting your way?" Jennie shrugged, feigning innocence. I shook my head. "You're the worst. I'll pick you up 5:30."

"Bye Jisoo, have a wonderful day at work."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm gonna be broke before this is over."