꩜⚤⚢ Inspiration

Today, I was thinking about a story-within a story that was previously used in my book Hypnosis & The Hash. This book (there titled "Sixty-Nine Shades of Gay") was mentioned a few times in the story, mostly while main character Jen was reading it. However, when I thought about what we know about the story of that book, I realised that it could have been a lot more complex than it seemed at first glance, and that's a story that I would really like to see somebody write.

This idea is dedicated to Ddude, with thanks for all your support.

Here is the expanded version of the plot, but with all the background first (the reader wouldn't find out about most of this stuff until later).

The story really centres around a young author called Cerise, although her involvement wouldn't be clear from the start. There will be occasional hints about her, but the main character won't notice them. It isn't until the end of the book that she will put everything together and explain the real story to the reader (although I think some readers might be able to guess bits of it before the characters do).

She started out writing steamy romance books, and quickly crossed over into fetish erotica. But she finds that after writing so many books her sex scenes seem to be getting stale. She always ends up using the same positions, the same metaphors, and it gets boring. So she started finding people she could experiment with, and then getting them to write diaries that she could use for inspiration. It's hard for Cerise to come up with new descriptions, because she's seen the same common ones so many times, and it's like the pattern is burned deeply into her subconscious. But people who don't read or write erotica might have new ways to describe the same feelings.

She's not above manipulating situations (and later people) to make sure the right kind of stuff gets into people's diaries that she can then steal. And the more she does this kind of thing, manipulating people to make them play out a story for her, the more she enjoys it. She's an expert hypnotist, as well as other things, so to her it's relatively simple to blur the boundaries between reality and fiction, and get a guy who likes her to act out some fantasy, losing himself in the role for a while.

She's started using men less and less in her stories; both because she finds that ff romances sell better, and because since she started doing this stuff, the guys she gets close to have often been conventionally attractive and egotistical; which has given her a pretty low opinion of them. She sees the diaries and gets to read their innermost thoughts when she's looking for bits of text she can borrow for a book; but at the same time she's only seeing their inner desires when she's made them really horny; never when they're acting normally. That makes it easy to believe that all men are sex-mad monsters.

This time, she went a couple of steps further than usual. She arrived in a new town, looking for locations for a new experiment, and right away there were two men hitting on her. Both pretty assertive alpha-male types, the kind of guy she likes least. But she leads them both on in the hope of getting some good creativity out of them. And when they only get more serious in the way they're treating her, both wanting to possess her (because that's the attitudes she's been cultivating for her story), she couldn't take it anymore.

She messed around with their minds, hypnotised them, and turned all their attraction for her towards each other. So these two guys believe they're in love with each other, and have been in a relationship since college. Any time they kiss or whatever, they're both hallucinating that they are with Cerise; but it might take a long time before anybody else realises that. After being ostracised by their families for being gay (they believe), they're running away to a cabin in the woods. They're both qualified lumberjacks, and pretty good at working with wood, so making a home in the wilderness together seems a good idea. They're naturally more rounded characters than that, but the manly lumberjacks are what Cerise wants to play with. So she gets them to build a cabin, and then she finds something interesting on Bart's phone. A photo of a young woman he seemed to be interested in; an interior designer. He's thought before about getting her to help him design his house (when he gets one) as an excuse to talk to her.