23- Kendryk Mills

Kendryk Mills

                   I got up Tuesday morning, after what seemed to be a pretty good night of rest. I looked at my cell phone to see what time it was…10:45. Guess I might as well get up, and get me a shower…Steve and the girls are supposed to be comin by.

                   Daphne was wiggin out, an errythang at the hospital, when ‘Sandra told her I was shot…but she calmed down after seein me. Daphne is my girl- she’s smaller than me (hell, everybody is smaller than me), she’s red-boned, and got good hair. She has a smile that makes me feel warm inside when I am near her. We have been goin together since 10th grade…she stays on the side of town where Mitchell them live- her daddy is a pediatrician, and her mom is on the city council of Annapolis. I grimaced, gettin up out of the bed…what the hell did I do to deserve this? I had just got back from the church trip to D.C., where Daphne and I spent the night in a hotel room together…of course; we were with the church, so I wouldn’t dare do anything like try to have sex with her- that would be so tactful.

                 But we did cuddle up, kiss a lot, and watch a lot of The Game. I took some pics of all the landmarks on my digital camera, but I hadn’t loaded them on the computer yet. I had a great time on the trip…I had been trying to get ‘Sandra to come to church for the longest, but she feel she isn’t ready yet. She’s still kinda angry an lost…I’m sure she will find her way though.

                 I finally get out of bed, pullin the legging parts down on my boxer briefs…the window was open and a nice breeze was comin through. That’s the one thing I love about Annapolis- it doesn’t get too too hot, in the summer. I yawned, as I stepped out of my bedroom, when I heard a familiar voice in the hallway…

               “OH MY GOD!!!”

               As I brought my head forward, my eyes shot wide open- there stood Meridian, her face on shock as she stared at me in my draws. She had dropped the plate of eggs, bacon, and a bagel, as it hit the floor, shattering. She still held the cup of OJ, though. My mind registered, that it was her, then registered that I was in my draws. I looked down to myself, then back up to Meridian’s awkward look on her face…I ran into my room, and slammed the door shut.

              “I’m sorry!” I yelled, as I put on a pair of mesh basketball shorts, and a wifebeater tank. I slipped on my houseshoes, and stepped back out of the room…Meridian was picking up the broken plate, as well as the food. I grabbed my waste basket, and walked to help her. “Sorry Meridian…I didn’t know-um…what are you doin here?”

               “I- I um…I um, volunteered to come over and help you out today since you were wounded, and Jassandra had to go to the hearing,” answered Meridian. She kept starin down at the floor, like she was scared to look at me…what? Do I have a booger hangin from my nose or something? My breath stank?

               “Oh…okay,” I said…that made sense.

                I blew into my hand to see if my breath was foulin up the scene…I took a whiff, then paused. I looked from my hand, to see Meridian starin at me, smiling. Awkward…

                I gave an funky lookin smile…I was embarrassed as hell to have Meridian catch me doin that. She giggled, then stood up from the floor. I stood up with her.

                “I’m sorry about laughing, but that was so funny,” she said, tryin to stop her laughter. After a minute, I laughed a little with her. “I thought it was my breath that was scarin you,”