Chapter 12:Finally right?

Story status: 7/10

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT DOWN ANYTHING

I THINK I have checked it enough.

(Updates are gonna be VERY slow)

Ezra POV

"Hey, can we talk for a second?"

I looked up from my book and saw Kyle leaning his right arm on my desk.

"S-sure." I muttered, closing my book and putting it aside.

He grabbed the chair in front of my desk and sat down.

"So, what happened?" Kyle asked.

I couldn't look him in the eye; I felt really ashamed.

And the fact that he didn't do anything to deserve all of this made my stomach churn.

"When Maudie and I were alone that night, sparks just flew, and one thing led to another," I muttered.

"Wait, so you two had—" Kyle asked, looking alarmed.

"Ew no, Kyle!" I stopped him before he could finish: "It's not like that; I just asked her to be my girlfriend."

"Okay good." He sighed in relief.

"I'm really sorry for doing that." I apologized as I mustered up the courage to finally face him. "You didn't deserve it at all."

Kyle sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

"I definitely did not like what you did, but I'm not mad anymore." He muttered, "I just feel betrayed, y'know?"

I looked down and frowned.

"Yeah, what I did was very messed up."

"It was, and look, I'm not going to hurt you or anything." Kyle sighed. "What you did was pretty fucked up, but I can't blame you; it's Maudie after all."

I didn't respond because I didn't know what to say.

Unlike Kyle, who asked me a question that made me die inside,

"Do you still like Ava?"

I bit my lip as I thought of a proper response.

"Yes, no, I DON'T KNOW," I replied.

Kyle raised an eyebrow.

I was completely tongue-tied.

I sighed and slumped my head against the table.

"I'm not entirely sure," I muttered.

Kyle got closer and whispered something that made me question everything.

"Don't do anything stupid, Ezra."

Then he stood up and walked away, leaving me absolutely speechless and flabbergasted.

I'm the one who usually says that to him on a daily basis.

For the first time, I was lectured by Kyle, who actually said something that I needed to hear.

He was the mature and smart one for once.

Since when did he get so grown-up and responsible?

Before I could reflect more, I felt a hand on my back.

I turned my head around and saw Maudie, who was back from the restroom.

"Did you and Kyle make up?" She asked.

I nodded and gave a small smile.

I'm technically not lying since we kind of made up.

"How did it go?" She asked, sitting on the same chair Kyle was sitting on earlier.

"It went okay; I think we're fine now," I replied. "But I don't think our relationship is the same anymore."

Maudie reached for my shoulder and rubbed it emphatically.

"I'm so sorry, Ezra," She spoke in a gentle, caring voice, "I really hope you feel better."

Then she leaned in and gave me a peck on the forehead, which made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

"You know, if you're still feeling upset, we can always go to the library, relax, and read a bunch of non-fiction novels at our usual spot after school." Maudie spoke with a small smile on her face.

I beamed and nodded.

"I would love th-"

Before I could finish my sentence, two certain people came into the classroom and made me stop and stare.

Ava and Kyle walked in, laughing, talking, and-

HOLDING HANDS?

Kyle glanced at me and gave me an affiliative smile.

It didn't seem mean; it just seemed like he had good and smart intentions.

I mean, if I'm dating Maudie, I can't see why he can't date Ava.

I gave him a smile back and gave him a thumbs up.

Maudie looked at me and then at Kyle before looking back at me with a smile on her face.

"Kyle and Ava," She said, pointing her eyes toward the two, "Pretty good match, huh?"

I nodded as I continued staring at the two.

Particularly Ava.

I need to move on from her officially so I don't hurt anyone anymore.

Ava glanced at me and gave me a friendly smile as she and Kyle made their way to their seats.

My heart started beating faster.

Okay, it might take a while.

But I am really determined to.