40

Soobin P.O.V

I’m in a shipping container, shirtless, cuffed to a metal chair.

It’s cold. My arms and legs are bound to it with thick leather straps, so I can’t really move. I pull against my bonds, but they’re too tight.

I can’t move. I’m helpless. Utterly at the mercy of

Vince.

He’s standing in front of me, with a too-big grin on his face. He’s holding his switchblade, and he keeps opening and closing it. The container is dark, so the paleness of his skin really stands out.

He’s my uncle.

And he’s about to torture me.

I doubt he’s going to show me any mercy. Actually, he might even be more vicious with me, because I betrayed my family.

His family.

I need to outsmart him. What he wants is for me to give up Yeonjun. To tell him his identity, and for me to tell him everything we’ve been doing. I can’t do that, though. I know what’ll happen if I do.

He’ll kill me, and then him.

“I won’t talk,” I say, trying to sound as stoic as I can. I splay my hands, as they’re starting to cramp.

“You will,” he says as he circles me. “Everyone knows how weak you are, Little Soob.”

“That’s just a rumor. You’ll see.”

“I almost hope that’s true.” He leans in close, so he’s whispering in my ear. “You might be a traitor, but I hope you aren’t a coward as well.”

I straighten up and stare him down.

“Just get on with it, then.”

I don’t know where this bravery is coming from.

I guess it’s because Yeonjuns life is on the line. I can’t let anyone hurt him.

“Okay, then,” he says. “Let’s start. Tell me who you’ve been spending time with.”

Vince runs the blade along my skin, walking in a circle around me. There’s not enough pressure on it to cut, but I know that’s coming very soon.

I start hyperventilating.

As much as I want to be brave and not give him any satisfaction, I know he’s about to badly hurt me. Right now he’s just playing with me. But soon, I’ll feel the real thing.

“Just a friend,” I say. “That’s all we are, I swear.”

I only just manage to say it, because I’m shaking so much.

“You’re lying,” he says.

“I’m not, I promise I’m not. Please don’t hurt me. Dad will kill you if you do.”

“Who do you think asked me to do this?”

He slowly moves the blade down, closer and closer, until it’s touching me. I struggle, but I can’t move, and then I feel the cold of metal on my skin, and I go totally still. My heart is pounding, and I want to scream, but it’s trapped in my throat.