28

Soobin P.O.V

Yeonjun hasn’t texted me back.

I’m in my room, lying on my bed, staring at my phone.

My room is a wreck. There are discarded clothes all over the floor, the carpet needs a vacuum, and dirty dishes are scattered around my desk and on my bookshelf. I’ve been distracted, and Dad isn’t around to tell me to clean up, so I haven’t.

It’s been over a week since the dance. Eleven days, to be exact.

We kissed, and he hasn’t messaged me.

I can’t stop thinking about it. Maybe it’s because the Friend Scheme is out in the open between us.

Or maybe it’s because I’m a bad kisser.

Oh my God, what if I’m a bad kisser?

This is making me feel things I’ve never felt before. I want him to message me so badly. It’s, like, the only thing I actually want to do. Then again, a part of me thinks our ending things is the best idea. It’s definitely safer than continuing to hang out, given who he is and how we met.

Maybe he’s realized that, too.

But on the other hand he said he gave up on the scheme, and I believe him.

I’m in my room, lying on my bed, staring at my phone. I consider inviting him to the fair. I can picture it now. Me and him, strolling down the main strip. We’d play some games, eat some junk food, and have a good time.

We could talk, too.

The fair would be a perfect place to hang out, as it’s a public place. We’d both be safe. Plus, I think if we hung out at either my house or his, I have a feeling we’d make out the whole time. He must want to do it again as much as I do. Which would be so hot. But bad.

There’s a knock on my door.

“It’s open,” I say.

Taehyun appears. He’s clearly on his way to the gym. His earbuds are hanging down the front of his tank.

“Hey,” he says. “Are you free?”

I sit up in bed. “Do I look busy?”

“Don’t be stupid.”

“Sorry.”

He enters my room and sits down on my bed. Eddie follows behind him and curls up at his feet. Today must be one of his needy days. Taehyun scratches the top of his head, and Eddie’s tail thumps against my bed.

“Just give it to me straight: Are you and Cass a thing now?” he asks.

Oh boy. I don’t know how Taehyun can be so aware sometimes and so damn wrong at other times.

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“I saw you two talking at the ball, and I know you’ve been hanging out. So I was just wondering if she’s the girl you’ve been dating.”

“Oh, no. This is new. Cass and I are just friends.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure, man,” he says. “Cassidy doesn’t give anyone the time of day she doesn’t think is worth it. If you’re hanging out with her, she must see something in you.”

“She doesn’t like me like that,” I say. “There’s no way.”

“Dude, why are you always so down on yourself?”