Chapter 20

INT. THE BANKS FRONT ENTRY HALL - CONTINUOUS Ellen is waiting in the front entry hall as everyone enters.

MICHAEL: Into the parlor - go on.

The children obey.

ELLEN: Don't be too 'ard on 'em, Sir. They are just children, after all.

MICHAEL: (Turning back, testily:) Of course they're children - my children - and I will deal with them as I see fit. Now leave us to it.

ELLEN: Yes, sir.

She heads into the kitchen. Mary and Martha Poppins start upstairs.

MICHAEL: Not you two, Mary and Martha Poppins. In here.

MARY POPPINS: Very well, sir.

They follow Michael into... INT. THE PARLOR - CONTINUOUS ... where the children await sentence. Michael takes a moment to get control over his emotions before he speaks.

MICHAEL: You could have lost me my job - do you understand that? A good position like mine is hard to come by these days. But there you all were, running about - (Turning to Mary and Martha Poppins:) And I thought that you two, Mary and Martha Poppins - I thought you were here to look after these children.

JOHN: It wasn't their doing, it was me.

ANNABEL: It was us. We thought maybe if we talked to Mr. Frye, he could give you more time to save the house.

JOHN: We were only trying to help.

MICHAEL: Well, you didn't help! (A deep breath:) I know this has been a difficult year for our family, and I have done my best to keep the three of you from worrying - but I can't do this alone. It's too much. I'm barely holding on as it is. I can't even seem to remember my briefcase in the morning, and there is no more time, we're about to lose this house - and I can't lose our home... I just don't know what to do anymore, I don't know what to do. Everything has fallen to pieces since your mother... (Suddenly overcome.) Haven't we lost enough already?

JORDAN: (After a beat.) We haven't lost mother. Not really... NOTHING'S GONE FOREVER ONLY OUT OF PLACE... SO WHEN WE NEED HER TOUCH AND LOVING GAZE.

JORDAN AND JOHN: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IS THE PERFECT PHRASE.

JORDAN, JOHN, AND ANNABEL: SMILING FROM A STAR THAT SHE MAKES GLOW.

JORDAN: TRUST SHE'S ALWAYS THERE.

JOHN: WATCHING AS WE GROW.

ANNABEL: FIND HER IN THE PLACE.

JORDAN, JOHN, AND ANNABEL: WHERE THE LOST THINGS GO.

MICHAEL: (Deeply moved:) When did you all get so clever?

JORDAN: Last night. Mary and Martha Poppins told us...

Jordan is about to say more when Mary and Martha Poppins catch his eye and raises a finger to their lips, mouthing a silent "Shh." Michael kneels in front of the children.

MICHAEL: I hope I am as clever as you when I grow up. You're right. Your mother's not gone. She's in your smile, Jordan, and John's walk, and Annabel's eyes. And she'll always be with us wherever we go.

Michael wraps them in his arms. Mary and Martha Poppins take this in, a look of satisfaction in their eyes.

MICHAEL: (cont'd) Go on, now - time to wash your hands for dinner.

The children go. Michael turns to Mary and Martha Poppins.

MICHAEL: (cont'd) Did you two have something to do with them trying to save the house?

MARTHA POPPINS: I never said a word - it was all the children's idea.

MICHAEL: (After a pause.) The whole time I've been looking after them, they've been looking after me... (He shakes his head.) I had it all backwards.

MARY POPPINS: Hmm. A Banks family trait.

MICHAEL: What was I thinking?

MARTHA POPPINS: Some people think a great deal too much. Of that I am certain.

They disappear upstairs, leaving Michael to ponder this. EXT. LONDON AT NIGHT/CHERRY TREE LANE - MONTAGE IN MONTAGE - VARIOUS SHOTS of London at night - the sidewalks empty, the street lamps lit, and the fog rolling in... EXT. THE BANKS HOME - NIGHT Wind rustles the fallen leaves on Cherry Tree Lane, sending them rustling down the cobblestones. At 17 Cherry Tree Lane, Jack, Angus, and two other leeries search through boxes in the back of a moving van filled with the family's possessions. Aunt Maddie comes out of the house, carrying a box. Jack hurries over to help Aunt Maddie with it.

JACK: Here, Maddie - let me help you with that.

He takes the box. Aunt Maddie nods toward the van.

AUNT MADDIE: Thank you. No luck?

JACK: (Shaking his head:) We can look through everything again if you like.

AUNT MADDIE: There's no point. It's nearly midnight - we tried our best. Thank you, Jack. And thanks to your friends for helping us.

JACK: Of course. Anything for you, my love.

Aunt Maddie smiles.

AUNT MADDIE: We'll be out in a moment.

She goes back into the house. Jack signals to Binnacle, who stands watching from the adjoining rooftop. INT. THE BANKS SITTING ROOM/FRONT ENTRY HALL - NIGHT Michael and Aunt Jane stand in the entryway to the sitting room. The furniture is gone; the curtains have been taken down. Aunt Maddie comes in and crosses to Michael's side. A pause as their situation sinks in. They look around the empty sitting room one last time. The children come downstairs with suitcases, followed by Mary and Martha Poppins, carpetbags in hand.

MARY POPPINS: The children have packed up the last of their things themselves.

MICHAEL: Well done, all of you. (Putting an arm around Jordan:) Have you got Gillie?

JORDAN: Yes, father.

Ellen comes out of the kitchen with suitcases.

ELLEN: Good riddance to that old kitchen. Never could figure out that stove.

MICHAEL: Well, then... we've spent every last moment we can here. It's time to say goodbye. (His voice echoing:) Goodbye, old friend!

AUNT JANE, AUNT MADDIE, AND THE CHILDREN: Goodbye, old friend!