Chapter 10

EXT. A PATH THROUGH THE PARK (ANIMATED) - DAY ... the ANIMATED WORLD of the Doulton china bowl. Jack, Maddie, and the children are stunned to discover they're now wearing turnof-the-century clothes. Mary and Martha Poppins hold two elegant parasols. While they are still very much real, everything around them is animated.

JORDAN: Wow!

JOHN: What just happened?

ANNABEL: Where are we?

Jack lifts a finger, tapping the air behind him - we hear the 'tink, tink' of his finger against the bowl.

JACK: Looks like we're in China, so to speak.

Mary and Martha Poppins slide down a porcelain slope to the carriage.

MARY POPPINS: Over here, everyone - this wheel won't fix itself.

The others manage the slope much less gracefully;

MARTHA POPPINS: (cont'd) Tread lightly, please - this is fine porcelain, we don't want to chip the glaze.

Jordan loses his balance completely and tumbles down to the others.

MARY POPPINS: (cont'd) Oh Jordan - head up and feet beneath you. (Turning to the carriage:) Excuse me, driver, would you help us?

The Coachman turns. The children see that he's actually an IRISH SETTER in uniform.

COACHMAN: Well, Mary and Martha Poppins! Is it yourselves?

JOHN:But he's - !

ANNABEL: But you're - !

COACHMAN: That's right: I'm Irish - also part poodle. (barks) Woof!

MARTHA POPPINS: How wonderful to see you, Shamus. So sorry about all this. Would you help Jack  and Maddie lift the carriage while the children put the wheel back on?

COACHMAN: With pleasure!

JORDAN: (Amazed:) They're talking to a dog!

HORSE: Well, of course they can talk!

MARY POPPINS: Take your places, everyone. Ready? ... And LIFT!

Jack, Maddie, and the Coachman lift the carriage. The children put the wheel on. Mary and Martha Poppins uses their scarves to tie it in place.

MARTHA POPPINS: (cont'd) (As she ties the scarf:) Let's see now, this should do it. There we are - shipshape.

COACHMAN: Not a bad job at all.

HORSE: S'pose it'll have to do.

Mary and Martha Poppins finishes tying the scarves around the wheel.

MARY POPPINS: Back to the nursery we go.

ANNABEL: Back already?

JOHN: Can't we stay in the bowl for a while?

JORDAN: I want a carriage ride.

JACK: I wouldn't mind one m'self.

MADDIE: I wouldn't mind, either.

MARTHA POPPINS: I suppose it wouldn't do any harm. Shamus, would you mind?

COACHMAN: Not in the least. Climb aboard, everyone!

ANNABEL, JOHN, AND JORDAN: Hooray!

COACHMAN: (As they climb aboard:) Mind the step. Plant yourselves comfy! Where would you all like to go this fine day?

MARY POPPINS: The Royal Doulton Music Hall, please.

JOHN: Where?

JORDAN: What's that?

MARTHA POPPINS: We're on the brink of an adventure, children - don't spoil it with too many questions.

COACHMAN: Let's go, Clyde!

The Coachman cracks his whip in the air and the horse trots along the cobblestones, hooves clanking on the china. "THE ROYAL DOULTON MUSIC HALL"

MARY POPPINS: IN THE NURSERY, YOU WERE NEVER BY YOURSELF THERE WAS QUITE ANOTHER WORLD UPON YOUR SHELF.

MADDIE: Hold on!

The carriage climbs up the side of the bowl and turns upside down as it follows the path up the edge of the bowl and crosses over the lip.

MARY POPPINS: WHERE EACH DAY CROWDS MAKE THEIR WAY UPON THE SUN'S DESCENT TO A MYTHICAL MYSTICAL NEVER QUITE LOGISTICAL TENT! The carriage turns right side up again. YES, IN THIS DEARLY DYNAMICAL SIMPLY CERAMICAL ROYAL DOULTON BOWL THERE'S A CUDDLY AND CURIOUS FURRY AND FURIOUS ANIMAL WATERING HOLE. Two hummingbirds lands on Mary and Martha Poppins' fingers. They show them to Jack and Maddie. WHERE THE MONKEYS AND HUMMINGBIRDS KNOW THE TUNES AND THE WORDS. EVERY BEAST LARGE AND SMALL. The hummingbirds flies away, leading us to an elegant family, walking along the path beside them; Jack, Maddie, and the children are astounded to see beaks and snouts sticking out from under their parasols and top hats. LOVES THE VERY TOP DRAWER-ABLE, ALWAYS ENCORE-ABLE ROYAL DOULTON... ...MUSIC HALL!

COACHMAN: Nearly there, Mary and Martha Poppins!

Jordan climbs to the front of the carriage and sits next to Shamus. Jack sits across from Mary and Martha Poppins and next to Maddie. They pass a giraffe riding a Penny Farthing. Jordan is amazed and shows Gillie the giraffe.

MARY POPPINS, MARTHA POPPINS, MADDIE & JACK: YES IN THIS MARVELOUS, MYSTICAL RATHER SOPHISTICAL ROYAL DOULTON BOWL.

A gang of monkeys swing over the carriage.

JACK: THERE'S A LOTTA BIRDS QUEUING UP. (A monkey lands on Jack's head:) A LOTTA HAMS CHEWING UP SCENERY THEY SWALLOW WHOLE. Jordan swaps hats with Shamus. THERE ARE LOTSA CATS TUNING STRINGS.

MARTHA POPPINS: NIGHTINGALES IN THE WINGS.

MARY POPPINS, MARTHA POPPINS, MADDIE & JACK: WAITING FOR THEIR BIG DRUM ROLL.

Elaborate gates open ahead of them.

MADDIE: AT THE SIMPLY SENSATIONAL.

MARY POPPINS: STANDING OVATION-AL

They pass through the gates with the words "ROYAL DOULTON MUSIC HALL" scrolled into their ironwork.

MARY POPPINS, MARTHA POPPINS, MADDIE & JACK: ROYAL DOULTON...

MARY POPPINS, MARTHA POPPINS, MADDIE, JACK, & CHILDREN: ...MUSIC HALL

The carriage comes to a stop in a large open space.

COACHMAN: Here we are!

ANNABEL: But... where's the music hall?

MARTHA POPPINS: Oh, yes - that. Silly me.

Mary and Martha Poppins open their parasols and spins it in the air. PULL BACK TO REVEAL that the parasols have transformed into an enormous... EXT. MUSIC HALL TENT (ANIMATED) - NIGHT It is now NIGHTTIME. Mary Poppins, Martha Poppins, Jack, Maddie and the children find themselves in line at the grand music hall tent, which is festooned with lights. The children are astounded.

JOHN/ANNABEL/JORDAN: Wow!

ANNABEL: How on Earth did they do that?

JACK: (Shrugs:) One thing you should know about Mary and Martha Poppins - they never explain anything.