Chapter 11

WOLF: (O.S.) Hurry, hurry - only a few seats left!

A WOLF with a thin waxed mustache acts as barker, swinging his pocket watch in a manner that makes him look suspiciously like Wilkins. A BADGER and a WEASEL selling tickets behind him look remarkably like Hamilton and Frye.

WOLF: (cont'd) Get tickets while you can for the one-night only, one and only - ! (Seeing her and her sister:) Mary and Martha Poppins! What an honor it is to have you two join us this evening.

MARY POPPINS: Thank you.

WOLF: And who's this I see? Why, it's John, Annabel and Jordan Banks!

JOHN: You know us?

WOLF: Of course - everyone knows the Banks children.

BADGER: We've all been watching you in the nursery for years.

WEASEL: It's so good to finally meet you.

WOLF: Hurry along now - get yourselves some peanuts and candy floss and go right on in.

JORDAN: May we, Mary and Martha Poppins?

MARTHA POPPINS: Yes - just keep away from the edge of the bowl.

They hurry off. INT. MUSIC HALL TENT (ANIMATED) - CONTINUOUS Inside, DANCING FLAMINGO SHOWGIRLS finish up the pre-show act.

FLAMINGO SHOWGIRLS: ... AT THE HIGHLY-ACCLAIMABLE, NEARLY UNTAMEABLE, LAVISHLY PRAISABLE, ALWAYS ROOF-RAISE-ABLE, ROYAL DOULTON... ... MUSIC HALL!

Enthusiastic animal patrons fill the tiered seating that surrounds the stage. Mary Poppins, Martha Poppins, Jack, Maddie and the children hurry to front–row seats. John sits down and immediately jumps up again. He turns to see a hedgehog family on the seat beneath him. Mr. Hedgehog doffs his cap. John smiles back and sits one seat in. Applause. Lights out. Drum roll. Rimshot - a spotlight hits center stage. The children are surprised to see Jack and Maddie, who was just next to them, now standing in the spotlight.

JACK: Bucks and mares, cubs and does - welcome to our show of shows!

Jordan places Gillie in Jack's now-empty seat.

MADDIE: (cont'd) It is my great honor to introduce this evening's renowned guests... the one, the only MARY and MARTHA POPPINS!

The crowd goes wild. Jack and Maddie bounds to the front of the stage to offer them their hands. Mary and Martha Poppins join them onstage.

AUDIENCE: Sing for us, Mary and Martha Poppins!

JACK: C'mon - have a go!

MARY POPPINS: (Dismissively:) Oh, I haven't sung in years.

Four "familiar" PENGUINS peak their heads out from the center split of the stage curtains.

PENGUINS: Please, Mary and Martha Poppins? Please...

MARTHA POPPINS: No, I couldn't possibly. (To the orangutan CONDUCTOR:) D Flat Major.

As she and Martha step into the spotlight, the curtains part just enough to reveal a large, open book that acts as a dressing screen, with a bowler hat and hooked cane hanging on it. The penguins push the set forward as Mary and Martha Poppins step behind the screens and transforms into character. "A COVER IS NOT THE BOOK"

MARY POPPINS: (cont'd) UNCLE GUTENBERG WAS A BOOKWORM AND HE LIVED ON CHARING CROSS. THE MEMORY OF HIS VOLUMES BRINGS A SMILE. HE WOULD READ ME AND MARTHA LOTS OF STORIES, WHEN HE WASN'T ON THE SAUCE. NOW I'D LIKE TO SHARE THE WISDOM OF MY FAVORITE BIBLIOPHILE. HE SAID... The dressing screen flies out, revealing Mary and Martha Poppins in full costume. The stage curtains open fully, revealing a set composed of piles of enormous books. A COVER IS NOT THE BOOK,  SO OPEN IT UP AND TAKE A LOOK CAUSE UNDER THE COVERS ONE DISCOVERS THAT THE KING MAY BE A CROOK. CHAPTER TITLES ARE LIKE SIGNS AND IF YOU READ BETWEEN THE LINES, YOU'LL FIND YOUR FIRST IMPRESSION WAS MISTOOK FOR A COVER IS NICE BUT A COVER IS NOT THE BOOK!