XXI. 'Till I Collapse

Start from the beginning

"To my uncle Aelfric," her father began, "who spent a lifetime wishing me dead?"

"There is a power in forgiveness," young Uhtred informed Uhtred.

"Good," Jaehaera answered, growing more annoyed by the second. "Then you may use it to forgive father. Now, if you two don't mind, if you can't find a way to speak to each other without offense, simply don't say anything at all. And if you do, don't be surprised when I throw you both overboard."

"Jaehaera, we are simply having a conversation," Uhtred looked at his son, "right? No one means to offend the other."

Young Uhtred paused, "right," he agreed with hesitation.

*********************************************************************

Their boat reached Grimesby, a town covered in fog and rain. Tall trees covered the town creating a constant eerie and haunted look. Jaehaera couldn't help but enjoy the look of it. They all stepped from the boat and onto the dock. Rickon and Sihtric help Jaehaera, young Uhtred, and Beocca get out. Jaehaera smiled thankfully at her love as he extended his hand to her. Together they all walked through the village. Finan turned around to face Uhtred as he walked. "So, where do we start?" he asked.

"Where do you look for monks in a place like this?" her father also asked.

"St. Colman's?" young Uhtred answered them, and Jaehaera looked at him with a raised eyebrow. Now he's choosing to be helpful? She thought.

"The whorehouse!" Finan answered as well. All the men around laughed, and Jaehaera watched as her brother stopped walking. She sighed once more and stopped Sihtric from walking away with the others.

"That's it," young Uhtred spoke in frustration. "I'm staying on the boat."

"Don't be ridiculous, Uhtred," Jaehaera answered him with equal, if not more, frustration. "It's not safe for you to be alone this deep within Danelaw. Come."

"Then I will pray for salvation," her brother answered. Jaehaera huffed and opened her mouth to reply but Beocca's voice sounded.

"I will stay with him, keep us both safe," the priest answered. He placed a hand on Jaehaera's shoulder, and her father's as well as he passed them. "They do not love a priest in Grimesby."

"Thank you, Father," Uhtred answered the priest while they watched the two walk back to the boat. "To the whorehouse then."

They opened the door of the whorehouse, and Jaehaera wanted to follow her brother back to the boat the second she walked through the door. Maybe he had a point, she thought. Sihtric pulled her closer to him as she walked between him and Rickon. She had been used to being the only woman in many rooms like this, but it still bugged her when gazes lingered for too long. Sihtric scowled dangerously at a group of men as they walked. "Grimesby seems like a lovely place," Jaehaera mumbled as they walked through the building.

"I hear the oysters are delicious," Rickon added with a smirk.

"Hmm," Finan voiced through a chuckle like the others. The inn fell silent as everyone inside found their group. "Sihtric, don't make eye contact." but it was too late, he was already intimidating two men who undressed Jaehaera with their eyes. They quickly looked away from her and the two men with her and at their cups.

"What is your business here?" a man stepped forward to ask. He as well sized Jaehaera up, but quickly discovered his mistake when she scared him how she scared every other man before him.

"We're traders," her father answered. "We're taking pelts to Frankia."

"Really?" the man asked.