10 | Fake ID

As Corinne said, we were only two blocks from a nondescript club. Top-forty music blared from inside.

Wary of the fake ID I had made on a weekend trip to Charlotte, I felt relief as we bypassed the entire line. A commanding Corinne took the lead as the bouncer granted us entry without so much as a glance.

The club interior was everything I imagined an LA club would be, with an illuminated bar and dance floor. Well-dressed, attractive people danced, laughed, and ground against one another with a fervor I had never encountered.

The bass thumping in my chest was an alluring sensation goading me toward the throng of people enjoying themselves.

I felt someone touch my hand. I looked up to find a handsome guy smiling at me. He nodded toward the dance floor.

I searched for Corinne or Christian. Corinne winked at me and smiled.

Not too far off, Levi stood beside Christian, both men eying the guy.

I laughed and followed his lead onto the dance floor where we began dancing to the DJ's polyrhythmic version of a Beyonce joint.

My hips swayed to the beat, and the guy gave me ample space, smiling and moving rhythmically. By the fourth song, we'd drifted closer to one another, hyping each other up as we moved skillfully to the popular music. I scanned the room for Corinne, who was only an arm's length away from me as she danced with Kelly and one of the other girls from the apartment.

Levi was sitting in a VIP booth nursing a beer and talking animatedly to a gaggle of girls I didn't recognize.

I couldn't see Christian.

"What's your name?"

I realized that the guy I'd been dancing with was talking to me.

"I'm S–, " I hesitated, "Samantha!"

"Samantha, you're beautiful and a talented dancer. I'm CJ. Nice to formally meet you."

I was surprised when he stuck out his hand. I shook it.

"Pleasure to meet you, CJ."

"Where are you from? That accent is sexy as hell," CJ winked at me as we continued moving to some electronic interlude.

"I'm from North Carolina," I yelled over the music.

"A Carolina girl, huh?" He smiled knowingly.

"That's right!"

"You're a bonafide southern belle," he laughed.

I smiled in response.

"Hey, Samantha. I'm going to go check on my buddy. Will you save me a dance for when I come back?"

"Of course!"

He took ahold of my hand, kissing it before backing away into the crowd.

"May I have this dance, Stevenson?"

I could feel his heat on my back. Levi.

I ignored him as I headed toward the booth where Christian sat. With feather-light fingers, Levi touched the small of my back as if to ask for permission.

"What?"

"I'm sorry about the other day. I thought I was being funny. Will you finally forgive me so we can dance?"

He stuck his bottom lip out in a pout.

It was endearing, and the alcohol had incited in me a hunger for human touch. I gave into the impulse, as I began moving again. Dangerously close to Levi, he spoke in my ear.