Chapter 20: The truth, the last Will and Testament, and the Conflict

I may be finishing this fanfic before 2023 ends :>> I wasn't active for a year and wanted to do something for my vacation so here goes. This will not feature season 2 of aot that much since the focus of this chapter would be Cass's responsibility inside the walls.

Long chapter ahead :DD

~~

A week before your family was killed, Rod Reiss was already looking for someone whose interest wasn't  solely focused on fortune. He wanted someone loyal to their family and someone who has abandoned their principles a long time ago.

"I need you to take care of someone for me."

"Oh? Seeing you come here personally must mean one thing." The tall man with a slightly oversized khaki jacket grinned. "Desperation."

Rod Reiss ignored him and placed a bag full of gold coins on the man's desk. "The marquess is not cooperating well and I don't plan on being complacent with him."

"Is that it? You really think I'd agree for something I can earn by myself with thrice the value."

"And one more thing. I want you to bring me someone from the scouts."

The man towering Rod Reiss raised an eyebrow. He needed more details.

"The marquess's daughter. You'll know who it is after you kill her family."

"What's in it for me?" The man finished his remaining liquor before discarding of the bottle he was holding.

"My brother Uri would've wanted this. It was a part of his final ambitions after all. More so, you could utilize the Military Police, along with your men as you see fit."

"A pleasure doing business with you." He grinned and placed a hand on his employer's shoulder, ensuring that he'd accomplish the given task.

**

"Your whole family was killed and your presence is highly requested by the higher council. So please read the letter that the late Marquess addressed to you."

Moblit's words didn't make any sense at first since you knew and the whole Mitras knew that next to the King, your family was next to being untouchable. The manor was not only guarded by highly skilled guards but also by soldiers from the Military Police who was undoubtedly loyal to your clan for generations.

You often think of the Beaumont clan as someone who was personally close to the King because of the treatment your family received. Though you shrugged off the idea since your father always reminded you to be more cautious whenever proceeding outside the manor since there are always 'eyes outside'.

Your father was always heavily guarded whenever he went outside which is why you had a hard time understanding how he, his wife, and your younger half brother were murdered.

You couldn't even think to narrow down his enemies but you remembered that back when you had your first expedition within Wall Maria, you recovered documents that were related to the illegal operations that your mother was involved in and most of the names you encountered were familiar, being accustomed to the people within Mitras. You took note of that fact and decided to retrieve the documents after being summoned by the inner council of his majesty.

As you were headed towards your home before proceeding to the palace, you were still in shock of everything. Once again, you were an orphan and your own life was solely your responsibility. Though you always wanted to be the one in control of your own decisions, the fact that it happened in an instant was still news to you. You wanted to obtain freedom from your own family but why does it feel like you were being trapped instead?