Chapter 1

EXT. THE LONDON EMBANKMENT/DOCKS MARCH, 1934 -

MORNING The river Thames at daybreak, street-lamps reflected in the water. TILT UP to reveal the London Embankment, Big Ben in the background. Jack and Maddie, two eternally optimistic lamplighters, climb two ladders that lean against two lampposts, silhouetted against the dawn. He and she dim the light and slides down to the ground. "LOVELY LONDON SKY"

JACK: WHEN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS HAVE COME AND GONE. THROUGH THE MISTY MORNING SHOWERS I GREET THE DAWN, FOR WHEN ITS LIGHT HAS HIT THE GROUND THERE'S LOTS OF TREASURES TO BE FOUND. UNDERNEATH THE LOVELY LONDON SKY.

Jack and Maddie fold their ladders and fastens it to the back of his bicycle. He climbs on and rides off with Maddie in tow. EXT.

THE DOCKS NEAR THE EMBANKMENT - CONTINUOUS Dropping down from the rooftops of London, we discover workers unloading crates and barrels of fresh produce on the docks. Jack and Maddie slalom through it all as they continue on their way.

MADDIE: THOUGH THE LAMPS I'M TURNING DOWN. PLEASE DON'T FEEL BLUE FOR IN THIS PART OF LONDON TOWN THE LIGHT SHINES THROUGH.

Jack and Maddie stop at two lampposts and dim the lamps. Ahead, NEEDY LONDONERS stand on a soup kitchen queue that snakes around the corner. VOLUNTEERS hand out food to them.

JACK: DON'T BELIEVE THE THINGS YOU'VE READ, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT'S UP AHEAD. UNDERNEATH THE LOVELY LONDON SKY.

Jack and Maddie grab two apples as Jack swerves past a fruit cart and tosses it to a MAN ON THE QUEUE. EXT. TOWER BRIDGE - MORNING Jack and Maddie ride along the embankment, the bridge at their backs. 1 2 EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD PUB - CONTINUOUS As Jack and Maddie ride down an alley adjacent to a pub, three STREET URCHINS chase behind them. An urchin helps them to shut off a street-lamp.

MADDIE: HAVE A POT OF TEA, MEND YOUR BROKEN CUP, THERE'S A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW AWAITING YOU IF YOU WOULD JUST LOOK UP! I KNOW...

A PUB LANDLORD sweeps the footpath.

PUB LANDLORD: Oi, get out of it!

The urchins run off down the alley, as Jack and Maddie ride down the street.

JACK: ...YESTERDAY YOU HAD TO BORROW FROM YOUR CHUMS SEEMS THE PROMISE OF TOMORROW NEVER COMES.

EXT. ST. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL - DAY Jack and Maddie pass St. Paul's. A few HOMELESS PEOPLE sleep on the cathedral steps.

MADDIE: BUT SINCE YOU DREAMED THE NIGHT AWAY, TOMORROW'S HERE! IT'S CALLED... TODAY! SO COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, YOU'RE A LUCKY GUY AND GAL FOR YOU'RE UNDERNEATH THE LOVELY LONDON SKY.

He and she ride through a flock of pigeons, scattering them, and taking us up past the dome. EXT. THE PARK - DAY CLOSE on Jack's wheels as he and Maddie wind their way through the park. As they ride along the path, they nod to a gruff PARK KEEPER spearing rubbish into a bag, who gives them a dirty look. 2 3 EXT. CHERRY TREE LANE - CONTINUOUS Jack and Maddie whistle as they ride onto Cherry Tree Lane, a street lined with 19th-Century homes. They pass the neighboring MILKMAN, giving them a wave.

MILKMAN: Mornin', Jack and Maddie!

Jack and Maddie glance up to a rooftop that has been fitted to look like the deck of a ship - at the moment, though, no one is at the helm. They look up, worried. Finally, the rooftop door creaks open and ADMIRAL BOOM appears, pushed in a wheelchair by his First Mate, BINNACLE.

BINNACLE: (Blows whistle:) Admiral... above decks!

Jack smiles, saluting the sailors.

JACK: LISTEN... SOON THIS SLUMP'LL DISAPPEAR. IT WON'T BE LONG SOONER THAN 'YA THINK YOU'LL HEAR SOME BRIGHT NEW SONG.

He and Maddie set up their ladders at the lampposts that stands before 17 Cherry Tree Lane - a modest house which has fallen slightly into disrepair. A BOY AND GIRL appear at the window in the upper floor of the Banks home, waving.

JACK: (cont'd) Y'awright, children?

Jack and Maddie wave to the children. They wave back and exit. Jack and Maddie climb the ladders.

MADDIE (cont'd): SO HOLD ON TIGHT TO THOSE YOU LOVE AND MAYBE SOON FROM UP ABOVE, YOU'LL BE BLESSED SO KEEP ON LOOKING HIGH WHILE YOU'RE UNDERNEATH THE LOVELY LONDON SKY.

JACK AND MADDIE: LOVELY LONDON SKY...

Jack and Maddie dim the lights and glance up into the sky. They slide down the ladders, Jack climbs onto his bicycle, says bye to Maddie, and rides off. Maddie walks into 17 Cherry Tree Lane.