Chapter Six: Dictator

Kendra sat anxiously in Stan's office. The Alderfairy had arranged a meeting a demanded everyone who lived in Fablehaven to be present. Besides, Seth of course, and Bracken who was doing a "top secret mission." Usually they had meetings like this in the parlor, but Stan said they had to be professional for the queen of fairies. 

Stan paced around the front of the office, lecturing everyone on how they should behave. Kendra had talked with numerous magical monarchs and had no use for Stan's talk. She tuned out, thinking once again about her meeting with Ronodin. 

"Kendra?" Stan asked, snapping her out of her daze. She realized everyone was staring at her. 

"Um, yes, Grandpa?" she managed. 

"Were you paying attention?" Stan demanded, frowning at her. 

"I was just thinking about Seth." Kendra replied, wringing her hands together. Where was the Alderfairy? 

"We agreed we would follow my plan." Stan reminded her, not looking pleased at her lack of attention. 

"Have you formed a plan yet? Or should we just wing it,when the Alderfairy arrives?" Warren asked, arching an eyebrow at Stan.

Stan looked flustered. "Me and Ruth have come to a decision." 

"Which is?" Tanu prompted, not unkindly. 

"The Alderfairy has to much support from the magical community. It would be unwise to disagree with her." Stan finally said. 

"We aren't disagreeing with her. We're helping her understand that Seth isn't a traitor." Vanessa said. 

"We don't want to get on her bad side. We should wait for more information." Ruth answered, in Stan's defense. 

"We agreed to your plan, last week Stan. Nothing's happened. It's time for change. No more information is coming." Warren reasoned. 

"More information is coming after this meeting." Stan said, adamantly. 

"But when will we have another chance to speak with the Alderfairy?" Tanu said. "She's the fairy queen, not your therapist." 

Stan opened his mouth to argue, but interrupted by a flash of pure, unbridled light. Even with her eyes closed, Kendra could see the flash. She only opened her eyes again when the light diminished. Standing in front of the group was the Alderfairy. 

The Alderfairy looked exactly as Kendra remembered. Small as a normal fairy and had rainbow wings. It was hard to think that millions of people followed orders of this tiny being. 

"Good afternoon," The Alderfairy said, beaming at them all. At once Kendra felt at ease. This was a big misunderstanding. There was no way the Alderfairy could banish Seth when she seemed this nice.

"Good afternoon," Stan replied, also smiling. "Would you like a seat?" 

"I think you should take a seat. I mean, I do have so big news to announce." The Alderfairy kindly gestured at the only empty chair. Kendra flashed a worried look with her friends. What big news?

"As you know, Seth traitorously helped Ronodin escape from the Demon prison. This means that there is a way to escape from the Zzyzx. This jeopardizes the safety of the whole world. What if the demons escaped? Who knows how many demons fled with Ronodin? That's why I sent Bracken into the demon prison to count the number of demons." The Alderfairy said, unaware that the whole Fablehaven residence did not know about Bracken's outrageous suicide mission.

"That is the most foolish thing, I've ever heard over!" Stan exclaimed. "Bracken could die!" 

The Alderfairy shrugged as if Bracken's life was no big deal. "What's one life for the cost of billions?"