Part XXIX: Going Public

(Please leave a comment or rating. Thank you! -J)

There was a small thunderstorm late Monday night, but by the time the sun rose on Tuesday, the rain had stopped, and the skies had cleared. When I opened my front door to go to campus, the fresh air enveloped me, and I decided to enjoy the crisp breeze and walk to campus.

Walking down the steps of my apartment building, I received a text from Tine.

Get to campus ASAP!

Immediately, I hastened my steps. Back and forth, my eyes darted between the phone in my hand and the sidewalk in front of me. I quickly typed a response.

What happened?

Meet me at the main gate, Tine answered.

I didn't want my mind to wander, but with two or three minutes more of walking, I couldn't help myself. I had my own history with the main gate on campus, and it wasn't always pleasant. The main entrance comprised two tall brick towers and a black wrought iron fence. The iron fence was permanently opened, and it had become a makeshift bulletin board where students posted flyers, pictures, etc. Students gathered near the main gate between classes, and many girls used the main gate to declare their love for me in front of as many people as possible. I'd torn down pictures of myself from the main gate, and the thought of anything happening near the main gate caused my stomach to churn. I hadn't let down my guard after the Sarawat's Wives' Club took their website down, and that part of me tried to steel myself for whatever I was about to walk into.

The closer I got to the gate, the more I clenched my jaws. I was walking along the sidewalk, so I could only see people walking through the gate. But no one seemed to be running through, in or out, and I hoped that perhaps nothing major was happening.

I walked through the gate and had only gone about two or three steps in when I looked up and froze.

From a lamppost hung a poster about six feet by three feet. I scanned the words in red letters – Music... Food... Games – and the words in white letters – University of Phayao; Open House; Saturday, September 27th – until my eyes stopped and focused on the image in the middle of the poster.

Me... kissing Tine on the cheek.

Underneath the words Come meet our campus cuties, our names were in white letters

Tine was facing forward in a cream-colored sweatshirt. I remembered joking about the sweatshirt on Saturday when we took pictures because it had a cute dog or rabbit wearing a hat on the front. I teased Tine about being more adorable than the puppy or bunny. Tine's lips curled into a bright smile; his eyes sparkled.

I was wearing a black polo shirt, facing Tine.

And in the middle of this vast poster were my lips on Tine's cheek.