4 - Earning the First Star

———

-Your POV-

"Alright! I finally caught a Buneary!" I exclaim, raising the Poke ball, emerged victorious in my rare find -- a small bunny-rabbit creature that was not only adorable but had some power behind its tiny punches.

We've been filling out our Pokédex, dedicated as could be. We caught a Shinx and Wurmple as well but didn't decide to keep them on our teams, instead sending them back to the Galaxy Team headquarters in Jubilife Village. Both Rei and I worked all day and sometimes even during the night until we were down to our very last day in the Obsidian Fieldlands for our research.

If we completed enough work to submit, we'd receive our first star, and continue on our journey to the next location, a place we'd never explored before, and even farther away from one of the only civilized locations in the region.

Later in the day, Rei and I paused our research. "Did you see that your tasks for Bidoof include one about how many you've caught? That's right — catching just one won't do it. You've got to get two, then four... then more and more!" Rei says proudly, showing me his Pokedex entries, displaying the many beavers he'd sought after, and even fed berries to.

"Yes," I nod, "I've found that Starly are the type to run at the drop of a hat. But if you crouch down in the grass, it won't spot you. That's how you can get close!"

We've just taken a short lunch break and healed our Pokemon teams, then compared information. We'll be leaving the Obsidian Fieldlands soon once we receive our first star.

Rei smiles sincerely, "I've got to admit, since it's true, honestly — you've got real talent for this!"

A blush creeps onto my face, but I shake it off, turning the compliment back at him. "You too, of course, Rei-kun!"

"And what about me?" A calm, masculine voice says from behind me, making me jump.

"Ahh! Volo, you stalker!!" I nearly toppled over the rock I was sitting on, I was so startled at the merchant's sudden appearance. I swear, sometimes it felt like the guy could teleport right to me.

The blond Ginkgo Guild member stands from behind me with a smirk, unaffected by my accusing words. His naturally yellow hair slopes downward to cover half of his face, so you could only see one cold steel-gray eye as he stared at me, a plastered smile almost overly amiable. I had met him right before I left with Rei on this journey to get our first star, while he was traveling with his fellow traders.

I frown, "Using Stealth Spray again? Seriously, what're you, a pervert? You can't just creep up on people like that. It scares the wits outta me, I'll have you know."

He shrugged, "That's not fair, (Y/N)~ I haven't done a thing. I was just passing by." Volo explains, wagging a finger at me.

Rei exhales, "Alright, let's get going, (Y/N)-chan."

"Uh... okay then," Standing, I grab my pouch and say my farewells, "See you later, Volo," I begin walking backward down the path, not looking where I was going to wave to Volo. A small rock snagged my foot, and I collided with the ground, "Ouch..." I groan, spitting dust from my mouth and pushing myself up and away from the ground, where I find myself a little too often.

"Are you okay?" Rei asks, voice laced with a pressing concern. He reaches out his hand and helps pull me up, but then blushes and quickly releases his hand, face reddening.

"Yeah, I'm just clumsy sometimes!" I grin while dusting myself off, aware that this is a weekly occurrence.

Volo waves and walks in the opposite direction, calling, "Nice seeing you. We'll battle another time!"

Once Volo steps out of sight, Rei pauses and turns to face me, "How come you don't use honorifics with Volo?" He sounded a little hurt, which left me stunned.

"I- um... I don't have an answer to that." I stutter. Was Rei... jealous?

"Then, is it fine if you just call me Rei?" He asks wistfully, soft gray eyes shining with hope.

"Of course, if you call me (Y/N)!" I nod with a reassuring smile, "Now, it's the last day at this location. Let's give it our all!"

Rei breaks into a toothy grin. "Yeah!"

We walk along a ridge until we spot a couple of Shinx up ahead on the road. Rei says as we duck for cover behind a cluster of tall grass, "Shinx has an aggressive disposition. Could you already tell that?"

"Yep! More or less," I admit.

"I thought you might! I can never tell until I focus on a Pokémon carefully." Rei says, "This one, you have to battle to catch."

"Yes!" I jump out of the grass and throw the Pokeball containing Starly. Starly jumps out of the capsule with a shrill cry of happiness and hops around, anticipating my orders.

"Use Quick Attack!" I command. Shinx growls and takes the attack, leaving it with a little less than two-thirds of its health, I command, "One more time!"

Starly changes forward and slams into the little blue electric lion cub again, leaving it struggling to stand.

"Go on!" Rei encourages, "Throw a Pokeball now!"

"Okay," I eagerly shuffle through my pouch bring out an orange-ish Pokeball, and chuck it at Shinx. The ball encloses the Shinx and shakes.

One...

Two...

And three!!

Sparks fly from the capsule-like shooting stars, confirming my catch. "I caught it!" I exclaim, ecstatic, and quickly high-five Rei.

The sky overhead soon turns to a warm, dusk orange, and we're on our way back, returning to the village we call home. "I can't wait to see Captain Cyllene-san's reaction!" Rei laughs, eyes aglow with enthusiasm.

"I'm sure we'll get our star, and be on to the next one!" I energetically pump my hands up, matching his excitement. "Let's go back to Jubilife Village."

———

Author's Note:

Hey there! Just so you know, this won't follow the game's exact plot, since I hate how lazy and Tom Nook-like the professor looks, I might just cut him out as much as possible and add our caring but cold Cyllene-san in more!! Thanks!

———

Word count: 1062 words